Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: table saw scratches

table saw scratches

i know this might seem crazy but i have noticed that the top of my table saw has recently gotten some scratches that run parallel to the blade,,,im assuming it came from using a sled,,now i know it just a saw and you will get battle scars on it as you use it but it is kinda annoying to me,,,does anyone know of a remedy to filling it in and maybe sanding over it or would that be a good idea,,,any help would be appreciated,,thank you

When you say scratches, what are we talking about? Is there metal hardware in your sled? What is putting the scratches in your top?
    Typically, you might get a polished area where the is some rubbing but scratches, no.

No problem sanding a tablesaw top. I've done it when some moisture got on the top causing rust spots. I'd figure out what caused the scratches before doing too much on the top.

Blog Entries
    Yes saw tables get dings and scratches. If you use the saw table for other work, scratches and dings will accumulate over time. Lightly sanding by hand is unlikely to cause a problem unless you concentrate heavy sanding on one area or power sand. If your sleds and fixtures are leaving mark you can apply UHMW tape to the underside of the jig or sled to increase clearance and reduce friction making scratches less likely. Waxing the table top with paste wax will significantly reduce sliding friction on the table which will lessen the abrasion from wood, jigs and sleds. Wax will also protect to a degree from rust.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

You will have a less flat top if you sand out the scratches. Just use the machine, it's not a beauty contest.

I feel your pain. I made literally thousands of cuts on my fairly new Unisaw, using the factory miter gage, while making about 18 large sets of Lincoln Logs for my grandkids and the kids of all the nephews and nieces. Enough sets that I filled a Brute trash can with just the little singles that connect the longer pieces together.

The scratches match the little plastic wear buttons on the bottom of the gage. Deep enough to feel with your finger. They are still there.

This ranks with the first time I dripped sweat on the table, and waited a couple minutes to wipe it up, only to find it was stained forever. Yes, I tried everything. Next comes the soda can mark on the jointer bed, and I don't even know who did that one. The family knows that it is sudden death to set a drink on any metal in my kingdom.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Bummer.

I’ve fixed a few but have come to peace with my cast iron getting scratched and stained. Sanding is fine but I don’t think I’ll fix anything again until it’s time to sell.

I noticed scratches in my saw table and found the cause. It was sharp burrs on the bottom of my Delta Tenon jig. I ended up making a piece of high pressure laminate (Formica type material) the size and shape of the bottom of my tenon jig, temporarily removed the guide bar, and attached this piece of laminate to the bottom of my tenon jig. Then replaced the guide bar. No more new scratches since, but if any new appear, I'll be on the hunt for the cause and fix it. I chose to leave the scratches. The saw is half as old as I am, and I have many scratches, dings, and replacement parts too. They are battle scars, won from successful wins over time. Any mighty warrior has them, and can probably tell you where each one came from. My saw can't say, but I can remember for it.

Charley

CI is soft and will wear. Ignore it and get to work. It's not a classic car.

This is just one of the many reasons that I like vintage machinery. Every ding, dent, scratch, and blemish tells a story. My 1946 Unisaw that came out of a piano shop speaks to me every time I use it.

Embrace the marks, they are proof that your saw was used as it was intended to be.

Haha, my uni's table looks like it's been through both world wars. Late 90's model.

I have used sandpaper to clean up old rusted tabletops. Up to 400 grit each step up makes a difference. I see no real difference in look after 400 up to 2000 grit. This includes some micrifine optical polishing liquid from 3M.
    To be honest 200 grit is about all that is needed. There is no way to remove deep scratches without a regrind or a full scrapping job using three surfaces or certified straight edges etc.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    You need to have the top reground to a pristine, factory perfect finish, then do an epoxy pour on it and finally, never, ever let anything touch the saw again. It'll stay beautiful for years that way

Cast iron is a relatively "soft" material so constant motion and abrasion even from something as simple as hardwoods can cause some scratching/marking/polishing. You'll see it from what you do the most with your tool operationally for the kinds of projects and kinds of fixtures you tend to do/use a lot.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have scratches. No biggie. But I just saw a video on Bent's Woodworking. He used WD40 and a fine nylon scotchbright pad under a ROS to get them out (might depend on how deep the scratches are...).