Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what are the common reasons that make chainsaw won't start?

what are the common reasons that make chainsaw won't start?

Defective spark plug? Restricted carburetor? Clogged fuel filter? Broken recoil spring? Malfunction recoil starter? What other reasons?

If the saw was stored with gas it will dry up in the carburetor. A varnish looking plastic stuff will be under the diaphragm
    Thats been my problem.
    Good Luck
    Aj

I agree, carb is gummed up.

Location? In California water in old gasoline because they add alcohol which absorbs water from the air. Any starter problems will be felt as too easy to pull or the rope does not wind back into the drum.
    does it have a compression release?
    For me it is being to old to pull it fast enough after a few tries.
    Bill D

As has already been explained to you in your other thread, check the exhaust spark arrester screen. That does not mean the spark plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Quenneville View Post
    As has already been explained to you in your other thread, check the exhaust spark arrester screen. That does not mean the spark plug.
    Thanks. So it is important to clean the arrestor screen periodically.

I gave up on my Stihl chainsaw and will be selling it. Pulling on the starter too hard on me and frustrating. I drain it every year and do all maintenance.

Now the reason my new chainsaw will not start is the battery is down. I LOVE my new EGO chainsaw as it starts so easy.

Ditto, I've pretty much retired all my Stihl 2 stroke products in favor of my Ego battery tools, chainsaw, blower, string trimmer, pole saw.

There's nothing that EGO can't do.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Ditto, I've pretty much retired all my Stihl 2 stroke products in favor of my Ego battery tools, chainsaw, blower, string trimmer, pole saw.

There's nothing that EGO can't do.
    haha. i want to see you come cut 24 to 36 dia. elm logs efficiently with your ego.

anyhow. when my saw is not running i seem to have to throw a plug, air filter, fuel filter in it and clean the spark arrestor. only a few min. job and not that much money.

I had to replace a magneto on my old Craftsman. Got on utube and started trouble shooting. Works. Randy PS I now have an electric chainsaw.
    Last edited by Randall J Cox; 11-01-2022 at 10:15 AM. Reason: added.
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

I picked up my new stihl battery saw a few months ago. Had a lovely day with it a few weeks ago where the neighbor couldn’t get his gas saw to start. I drained the battery all the way, charged it, drained it again. Still no start from the gas. Had to be humiliating for the gas stihl getting walloped like that!

I use canned gas on my chain saw, leaf blower and other two stroke units. Pricey, but it has eliminated the starting hassles as long as I do keep the things clean. My small Stihl got to be such a pain that I ditched it and bought an Echo 310 a few years ago. it has been reliable usually starting on the first five pulls. Also relatively inexpensive.

+3 on battery powered chain saws. Unless you spend a lot of time cutting wood then one will serve most of us well. No hearing protection needed. They are ready at the pull of the trigger. A 14" bar handles most everything I need it to. I have no desire to have a gas powered unit again of any make.

Martha Stewart like battery powered garden tools too.
    Not me I’ll take a loud ripping roaring 2 cycle engine every time. I’ve had my two for over 20 years
    Aj

Fresh gas, starter fluid spray if necessary.
    < insert spurious quote here >