Thread: Cabinet door bits - stacked vs matched ?

Cabinet door bits - stacked vs matched ?

I need to build 4 small cabinet doors to finish off a small kitchen project. Looking at the MLCS catalog and found the same profile I need in both a matched set of bits (rail/stile) and a stacked bit, where both profiles are cut with the same bit. They have the stacked bit on sale for $20 less than the matched set.

My question is are there are any advantages or disadvantages of the stacked bit vs the matched set?

Thanks!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Sometimes, you need to re-make a piece, so dual router setups are handy when left as-is until doors are assembled and you get past that point. That's where the separates are nice.
    If you have an accurate DRO for bit height and are diligent with recording settings, you can process on a single router table.
    In this instance, the stack does allow you to "cheat" this functionality into play, as you can bounce back and forth to proper heights for cope/stick, as needed, by simply adjusting height to proper cutter profile.

jeff

My new kitchen in the old house was done with a single bit. Rails and stiles, not the raised panels. My kitchen in current house was made with separate bits. Either works in hobby use, the big difference is speed, but the kitchen I did 30+ years ago still looks great.

My new kitchen used two bits/two router tables. Lot's quicker, but not required at all. The first one was done completely on a benchtop router table with a PC 690 (mid 80's).

Anyone else remember Bob Rosenthals yellow benchtop table? That is what I used way back. Set the home made fence up for final cut on the raised panel bit, put several 1/8" shims on the front of the fence and removed one after each pass. Worked perfect.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I prefer the matched sets over the stacked. Besides the two router/ shaper set up reason I like as sharp of a bit as possible when cutting endgrain on the rail. If only doing 4 small doors I doubt it would matter. The downside is that one of the two bits sees a lot more use than the other.

I prefer the stacked. It lets you adjust the fit of the tenon. With matched you get the fit the grinder wants you to have and in my experience, they are too loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I prefer the stacked. It lets you adjust the fit of the tenon. With matched you get the fit the grinder wants you to have and in my experience, they are too loose.
    I agree with this. I always make test pieces anyway and setting them back up is as easy as putting your test piece back up against the bits.

Main thing I would want is stuff with 1/2 inch shaft . The smaller diameter bits ….shake , ‘a bit’. And don’t leave as smooth a surface.
    Who wants to sand those surfaces ? Some might enjoy it but couple times I’ve a shop owner yell , “Don’t fill or sand that stuff , plenty of
    short ends to use up , toss ‘em in the kindling box !!

Thanks to all who have replied. Think I'll go with the stacked bit based on your responses. Saves some money without losing much if any capability, with the exception as Jeff noted of losing the convenience of a multi-router setup. Wish I could have a multi-router setup but my shop is pretty small.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Only a stacked knife set allows you to adjust the tennon fit. It also allows adjustment for panel or glass thickness.
    Bill D