Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router bit storage

Router bit storage

I previously bought one of those foam router bit storage trays a year back or so. I thought it would be a great way to store bits, however I just discovered the bits had rusted where they were sitting in the foam (despite a dehumidifier working its butt off to keep my basement at 50% RH). The bits in my case (a big box set I bought with my upgrade to a 1/2" collet router) with plastic inserts however are a-ok. Luckily the rust wasn't too bad and it was only 3 bits - I was able to clean them up with fine scotch-brite and remove them from the foam (and luckily the carbide bits don't rust).

Two ideas come to mind - buy a bunch of those plastic inserts for these router bits (from where, and what are they even called?), or drill oversized holes in a scrap of wood to store the bits in. My gut says the inserts are the way to go. Anyone experience this issue before and have any wisdom to share? My end goal is to have something I can store on the shelf of my router table, set on the workbench when I'm using the table, and then return to that shelf when I'm done using the router table.

Quote Originally Posted by Myles Moran View Post
    I previously bought one of those foam router bit storage trays a year back or so. I thought it would be a great way to store bits, however I just discovered the bits had rusted where they were sitting in the foam (despite a dehumidifier working its butt off to keep my basement at 50% RH). The bits in my case (a big box set I bought with my upgrade to a 1/2" collet router) with plastic inserts however are a-ok. Luckily the rust wasn't too bad and it was only 3 bits - I was able to clean them up with fine scotch-brite and remove them from the foam (and luckily the carbide bits don't rust).

Two ideas come to mind - buy a bunch of those plastic inserts for these router bits (from where, and what are they even called?), or drill oversized holes in a scrap of wood to store the bits in. My gut says the inserts are the way to go. Anyone experience this issue before and have any wisdom to share? My end goal is to have something I can store on the shelf of my router table, set on the workbench when I'm using the table, and then return to that shelf when I'm done using the router table.
    I made my router stand from Norm's plans and those drawers are a plywood bottom with plywood on top with holes drilled in it. Brian

I use these router bit holders to store my bits, https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...97-bit-holders Never had an issue with rust since I started using them.

My experience with holders is varied. I currently use drilled plywood with no issues for several years. I have left some CMT bits in their little boxes and found that eventually the plastic holder shrinks and the bit is difficult to extract.

I also have a Festool bit storage systainer full of small bits in foam, also for several years with no rust.

This has been working OK for 30 years or so. Plus a plastic storage box with lid, and a board inside drilled with a bunch of holes for some overflow. There are also about a dozen routers with bits in them, so that's another kind of storage...

Long ago I had a hinged lid box doing the same thing, but it only held 20 bits or so.

IMG_3301.jpeg

My wife got some medicine in plastic boxes about 10" X 10" X about 2 1/2" with snug fitting lids. I put some pink foam insulation in them with 1/8" hardboard glued on top then drilled holes. No rust after several years though they're stored in a dry basement.

I have a couple foam rubber bit holders, the ones with little X's cut for the bits. A light spray with WD-40 or your choice of light oil, and you should be fine. I haven't had rust issues like you described.

Similar to others, I have a drawer with a playwood piece that's got holes drilled. However I do use the Rockler inserts:
    https://www.rockler.com/rockler-rout...nserts-10-pack

Not necessary, and certainly adds cost, but I like being able to use every hole for 1/2 or 1/4 shanks. No real functional benefit, though.

Like Brian, I followed Norm’s plan and used plywood to hold the bits. Two drawers for 1/4 inch shanks and two for 1/2 inch. Works well.

I built a small cabinet for all my drill and router bits …

Regards from Perth
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I built a small cabinet for all my drill and router bits …

Regards from Perth
    Derek

Nice. But that can't be all your drill bits...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Looks good ! Excellent shop storage ! But I prefer the method I copied from my dentist’s cavity bits… Old West Mexican Bandito Bullet Belt.
    Had to “bite the bullet” to buy it ! Hope my insurance will cover that broken tooth !

I have various methods of storing router bits. The custom ones are in the brass holders sold by Lee Valley. They sell nice plastic inserts too.

They're all in a waterproof toolbox, like all my small tools, that weighs about 45 pounds.

It also includes my first version of router bit storage with holes drilled in a piece of framing lumber from the mid '70's that shrunk, and they're all stuck in. None of those were much good to start with though, because that was before I ever saw a carbide tipped one. I just kept it as a reminder of being young and ignorant. Pretty soon after that a traveling salesman came to my family owned building supply with samples from a new company called Whiteside. I still have those too.

I suspected as much.