Thread: WoodRiver Moxon Vise HW Kit

WoodRiver Moxon Vise HW Kit

Has anyone made a vise with this kit? It's on sale for $80 this month at Woodcraft. I am thinking it's not much more expensive than collecting the hardware myself from Grainger, MCS, etc.so maybe I'll just buy it. I see Rob Cosman is selling a "Cosmanized" version so I'm guessing the quality is at least decent.

If you factor in all the work you will be doing after you get the supplies, Woodcraft is cheaper. A lot of you know I make vise kits every once in a while to sell. My wheels aren't as polished as Bench Crafted but in terms of quality just as functional. Derek uses a set of my hardware. I usually ask $115 which also covers shipping. At $80 I can't compete. If I tried to compete at that price I would make less than minimum wage. Not complaining just stating fact. Not wort my time.

I can't speak for the quality of their parts but $80 dollars plus shipping I think it is worth try. If you are going to use it every day then maybe it isn't such a good deal.
    Tom

Blog Entries
    If I tried to compete at that price I would make less than minimum wage.
    People in China, along with many other countries, probably do not have a minimum wage.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The old rule of “one gets what one pays for” rarely has an exception.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Another alternative is at Tools For Working Wood. It is $75 and a couple of us here have it and use it for our moxons. LINK

(But Mr. Bussey makes a mighty fine set for only a little more money.)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks all for the input. I have a local Woodcraft so I'll probably go check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bussey View Post
    If you factor in all the work you will be doing after you get the supplies, Woodcraft is cheaper. A lot of you know I make vise kits every once in a while to sell. My wheels aren't as polished as Bench Crafted but in terms of quality just as functional. Derek uses a set of my hardware. I usually ask $115 which also covers shipping. At $80 I can't compete. If I tried to compete at that price I would make less than minimum wage. Not complaining just stating fact. Not wort my time.

I can't speak for the quality of their parts but $80 dollars plus shipping I think it is worth try. If you are going to use it every day then maybe it isn't such a good deal.
    Tom, this is off topic, but I think you would like to know (as might others here): Look at the latest FWW Tools & Shops magazine (page 78), and you will see your hardware there

Regards from Perth

Derek

I am sorry if I came off badly, I didn't mean to. I know Mark wants to build a Moxon vise, And from a price point I do not blame him for considering the one Woodcraft has for sale. I know that I have done the same thing. For the average woodworker, the moxon vise is not a daily user and from a price point, hard to pas up. I built my moxon vise into my bench but to be truthful I haven't set it up in over a year. It just seems to me that if the wood working catalogs thinks it can sell something, they go for it, and China is the place to have it produced.

Again I do not know how to write about what I am feeling. I read about there being nothing is manufactured here anymore, and here is a prime example. On the other hand there are a lot pf products being manufactured here that are way overpriced to the point of gouging. I do not have the answers.
    Tom

If you are looking for a cheaper route I just bought 2 acme threaded screws and 2 nuts and epoxied a wood handle on it. Maybe $30? But that was probably 7-8 years ago.