Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbon method for rust prevention - any good?

Carbon method for rust prevention - any good?

I normally clean my Sawstop with WD40, then apply Boshield T9 and finally paste wax and this has been OK but not as good as I would like.

I saw this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_HVA391T0E&t=10s ) and it sparked my interest so I watched a few others and read a few reviews which have been positive. Seems like a good product.

I'm curious to hear from people who have actually tried this and what they think.

That looks like an interesting product.

Bent has had good results with the product. The Wood Whisperer posted an update to day on the product, too. Mark did have some issues, but it wasn't so much the product as the situation which he clearly explains. This stuff isn't inexpensive, but it appears to do a great job if one takes the time to apply it properly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Boy, that is a lot of effort to prevent rust....must take some time.

I must be really lazy as every couple of months or so, I just apply Johnson's paste wax. No rust at all. Of course my Sawstop does not look showroom new but is smooth and cuts great.

Based on what I've seen from the wood whisperer it seems like a decent product. OTOH it's a bit pricey, so there's that.

One thing I haven't seen a lot of people discuss is just a coating of poly. John Heisz from I Build It did it at one point, on a wooden table saw, and apparently does it on other equipment as well. Poly is going to be a lot cheaper.
    Last edited by Andrew More; 11-07-2022 at 8:31 PM.

I switched this summer to dupont chain saver spray. Self cleaning and leaves a wax layer behind. I will see about rust this winter.
    Bill D

I do not see that carbon will do anything to stop moisture from getting to the iron.. Laser printer toner is mostly carbon powder. Anyone going to try that or powdered graphite on their iron?
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 11-07-2022 at 9:05 PM.

I have no proof or knowledge of their formula, but my intuition is telling me that this product is likely just repackaged ceramic coating that has been around in the automotive, and architecture, world for a while now. Assuming that’s the case, which is highly likely, you can get a pretty equivalent product for 1/3 the price on Amazon with very positive reviews.
    Last edited by Brian Gouldman; 11-07-2022 at 9:50 PM.

I thought I'd get some comments about its expense and how wax works just as well etc etc and these are fair points but I was just after information on this product. One benefit, I see, is the coating lasts a long time so instead of waxing regularly you can apply it and they say it will last 6 to 12 months before reapplying another 2 coats depending on usage of your saw. They also sell a glide spray as part of the kit, similar but an improvement over glidecote. Anyway I was hoping an actual user could give an opinion but maybe the product hasn't been around long enough. It does look promising particularly in humid environments and I'm happy to pay for it if it provides better rust protection, a slicker surface and less maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Boy, that is a lot of effort to prevent rust....must take some time.
    Yes, the application of that kind of system does take some time and care, but the ongoing maintenance is pretty limited and the level of protection is much better than wax and/or some other products. I'm happy with the T9 I used and since I have it, that's what I'll continue to use, but if I were starting from scratch, I'd seriously consider the Carbon product.

As an aside, it will be interesting to see if my rust risk is higher here at the new property once I have the shop setup in the dedicated building with HVAC. There is more ground moisture here than at out old property, but the shop building will be better sealed, etc.

My opinion is a table cover will reduce rust just as much as chemicals. Condensation mostly settles on horizontal surfaces. Keep the top covered with anything and no moisture settles on the top.

On a related note, are y'all familiar with this comprehensive comparison of corrosion inhibitors? Sure, it's not the last word on the topic but it is certainly well worth your time to read through the process and results.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Barr View Post
    I normally clean my Sawstop with WD40, then apply Boshield T9 and finally paste wax and this has been OK but not as good as I would like.

I saw this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_HVA391T0E&t=10s ) and it sparked my interest so I watched a few others and read a few reviews which have been positive. Seems like a good product.

I'm curious to hear from people who have actually tried this and what they think.
    I subscribe to this guy's channel. Just watched that video a couple days ago. I especially liked his method of cleaning the cast iron. I supose time will tell if the carbon treatment is worth it or not...... I'd use it if it lasts a few months.

Couldn't resist any longer and ordered the kit. Yes it was expensive particularly the delivery charge to Australia, but if it produces what they say it does then its worth it. I'll report back once I've treated my table saw.

BTW Richard I do cover my saw everyday and yet I still see the odd rust/stain mark

I think you will be happy. The application is easy and my results after 4 months have been perfect. I decided to try it after some unexpected rust on various tools even in my climate controlled and dehumidified garage (55%). I had been using wax and glide coat top layer which worked inline with what the Wood Whisper posted. I believe you still need to apply once per year but that depends on usage I'm sure. Good Luck!