Thread: This May Make Electric Motors and EV's Cheaper

This May Make Electric Motors and EV's Cheaper

Now there may be one more reason to wait to get an electric car. Exciting discovery if it works out.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2...rt-of-the-stor
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    This could be a very good thing. I particularly like the part where it is iron and nickel.

Ive been watching two thing in the rare earth side.

1. It turns out that there are a lot of fare earths in coal fly ash, the stuff that would go up the smokestack but is filtered. A scientist at Purdue named Linda Wang has come up with a way to economically extract rare earths.

2. Recycling the magnets is very difficult to automate because magnets stick to things. A scientist discovered that rare earth magnets crumble into non-magnetic dust when exposed to hydrogen gas. He cut up some disk drives and put them in a fancy clothes dryer and he can recover the dust.

now I’ll have another thing to follow.

We have a house on the Ohio River. For months we have been seeing barges of fly ash headed down river. I would love to think it was being mined.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    We have a house on the Ohio River. For months we have been seeing barges of fly ash headed down river. I would love to think it was being mined.
    As far as I know, it’s not and that’s a shame. An energy company around here (Duke?) they are basically moving the waste from one pond to another. Why not extract the good stuff on the way?