Thread: Veneer substrate

Veneer substrate

So I need a 15" wide cherry board for a secretary desk but I can't find anything in my area that wide but I do have 16" figured cherry veneer. Problem is I need 7/8" thick wood and no one that I have found makes 7/8" thick MDF or plywood.. But again my local wood store is lacking in quarter sawn cherry. But they lots of quarter sawn red and white oak, and maple. Would really be a problem to use one of these other woods for the substrate with the veneer?
    Thanks suggestion welcomed.

If you need a 7/8" substrate, just take 3/4" and cross band it with lower quality 1/16" veneer on both sides. Now you have a 7/8" thick substrate onto which to glue your show veneer.

John

I've seen 3/8" mdf at one of borgs in the past. Not sure if they still do. But if so, then laminate that onto 1/2" mdf and you're there.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I'd just use...cherry...and for this application, it wouldn't necessarily have to be the best quality other than right at any exposed edge.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Agree with Jim. All kinds of stuff has been used , and worked well. Nice veneer work has been done on cheap stuff and ….astonishingly even
    found on fine mahogany “core”, even the more scarce type mahogany ( the name of which can not be found in my brain right now) When that work is found we moderns usually think …what’s THAT about ? Lavish wonderful stuff under veneer is kinda’ weird and has likely
    tempted some who don’t like to steal veneered stuff …check out the core.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'd just use...cherry...and for this application, it wouldn't necessarily have to be the best quality other than right at any exposed edge.
    I have done the same: shop-sawn curly cherry veneered on plain (#1? IIRC) cherry for drawer fronts - just pick core boards with a decent edge. In my case, since edges are visible when the drawer is open, they get the same finish - and veneer line is almost undetectable.

Thanks for the help

Blog Entries
    I'd caution using lumber as a substrate particularly on wider panels. Even with the same species, you can have different rates of expansion and contraction. You are much better off using an MDF assembly thickness sanded to the correct dimension.

Mike