Thread: PureFlo 3000 PAPR?

PureFlo 3000 PAPR?

I'm wondering if anyone's using the Gentex PAPR, and if so how they like it. I don't hear much about this model.

I cant speak to the model you are asking about, but ive had the 3M Versaflo for a few years and love it. I think it is 3+ years old and no issues with the original battery etc. After going through the half face respirators, then the full face respirator, and now the versaflo, i cant tell you how much more comfortable it is to live with. They are expensive, no argument there, but if you can swing it then the comfort is well worth it. Also, it forces me to wear eye protection, which i rarely did with the half face respirator.

Thanks for the reply Patrick. I'm getting a PAPR one way or the other, it's just that when I walk through my requirements and the specs, I end up with the PureFlo as the one I'd pick. I'm just curious as to why I don't find folks using it, and whether there's some flaw I've missed.

I just ordered one, and will let you know how it works out. I suspect the reasons that I chose this one over the other options are similar to yours, I could not find any alternative that had the same combination of features. My reasons were:
    1. Fully self contained, so it is easy and fast to put on and take off, this ruled out all the belt powered units.
    2. Needs to work with my glasses on and beard.
    3. Quiet , I like to listen to music when I work.
    4. Light weight
    5. NIOSH approved and 99.99% efficiency filter
    6. Well established company with reasonably priced spares.

I also have the 3M VersaFlo PAPR, have had it around 4 years. I purchased it when I was dry-grinding my concrete floor to make it smooth. I bought it with the heavy-duty helmet with fully-sealed face shield, earmuffs, and shroud that comes down around the shoulders. I wore a full tyvek suit with a hood over it. Plus I used a dust shroud on the grinder with an OSHA-approved SILICA/HEPA filter 350CFM Hilti vac. So...I was pretty well protected. The waist pack is pretty comfortable with a nice, wide belt. After the concrete project I purchased the much lighter helmet and also a painter's hood which is even lighter. For painting, you should also use the disposable clear visor covers for use on the helmet; prevents the helmet's built-in shield from getting covered with paint. Lastly, make sure you get the appropriate filter cartridge for your purposes. With the HEPA/organic solvent/particulate filter not only do not inhale particulate matter but you can't even smell anything - no paint odor at all. The constant airflow inside the helmet is like a mountain breeze. Quite amazing. It's also great for dicing onions (yes...i've tried it!).

Chris, I'd also be curious what your impression of it is. The skeleton frame with added hearing protection seems like it'd be perfect for most woodworking.

I've been using the PureFlo 3000 for a couple weeks now, and I'm very pleased with it. The fan isn't particularly loud even without earmuffs, and these muffs, even at NR22 are very good. The unit isn't particularly heavy on the head, though I've probably only used it a couple hours at a time. So far, so good, I think it's a good alternative to the more pricey 3M unit.
    IMG_3480.jpg

Just bumping this old thread to ask if anyone else has used a PureFlo 3000 or has any opinions on it.

Seems really ideal to quickly toss it on your head and have air, face, and ear protection all-in-one. I'm inclined to think it'll cause me to use those protections more often. But is donning/doffing it more complex than I realize? (I'm not interested in the PAPRs with belt-worn batteries because the effort to strap into it is too high for infrequent use)