Thread: Bidding on Delta Saw advice

Bidding on Delta Saw advice

Gentlemen, I am bidding on a used Delta cabinet saw with unifence, supposedly in perfect shape. It is 240V/1/60 with 2hp motor, right tilt with extension table that has a cut out for the router insert. (insert not included). Not know how old. Bidding $320. Is this saw worth it?

I'm a new to this forum and currently buying tools to get back into woodworking after long absence. WIll soon have many questions........

The first thing to find out is whether this is a "true cabinet saw" (Unisaw) or a hybrid (e.g., the older 36-755 model). Most recent Unisaws are either 3 or 5 HP, so the 2 HP motor suggests that it might be a hybrid.

The most obvious visual clue is the position of the blade height adjusting wheel. Take a look at the current models on Delta's website to get an idea of the difference.

$320 for a working table saw in excellent condition, with a Unifence, is a good deal. $320 for a Unisaw would a screaming gloat.

Delta Unisaw, used.jpg

this is the saw......

Welcome to you both! Kent you are a great example of how folks here at the Creek offer their experience and help. We all have something to offer but not necessarily on every topic - and I am going to bow out on this one but did want to say welcome to Clyde on his entry to SMC.
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

Hi Clyde and welcome to the Creek!

That looks a LOT like the original Delta hybrid saw that Kent alluded to, not an actual Unisaw. It was offered in the late 80s into the 90s. For value, compare it to the new Delta hybrid or the Sears 22124 saw. I think your $320 number is at the top end of value for this saw.

Good luck,
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Yup, that's an old Delta hybrid. Basically a contractor's saw mechanism in an enclosed base. The trunnions are mounted to the underside of the table, which makes alignment something of a trial-and-error process.

Some of the new hybrids, (Sears, not Delta) have the trunnions mounted to the cabinet, which makes alignment much easier.

I think most alignment processes are trial and error. The blade to the table is the alignment that is necessary (sheetmetal stand is really out of the picture) and makes more sense to me to be bolting two items either of which is more stable than a sheetmetal cabinet to gain a lasting alignment. My take on it FWIW.
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

I have that saw, the 10" tilting arbor saw. Excellent piece of equipment. Accurate, adequate power, heavy enough to allow you to wrangle sheet goods.
    Chris

Welcome Clyde!!