Thread: Lie Nielsen 3 Coming Soon

Lie Nielsen 3 Coming Soon

Just a heads up to my fellow hand tool enthusiasts...

Some number of months ago I saw talk of Lie Nielsen doing a run of Iron No 3s in the fall (and possibly bronze early 2023?). Since fall hit, I've been periodically (obsessively?) checking the bronze No 3 page on the LN site to see if anything had changed, perhaps backorder options. No activity on that one...but when searching "no 3" in the search on the LN site yesterday I noticed the iron page show up, which was previously not an option. See picture below, with note "[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]Please note: We will begin production on these planes in the near future. If you are interested in ordering one, please sign up to be notified by email when they are available."

[/COLOR]So for those of you in the market for an LN 3, your day may soon come. Personally, I'd rather have the bronze (which doesn't have a similar note as the iron page), but if I happen to catch the iron in stock, I doubt I'll pass it up.

ln3.png

They list the same for iron no1 and no2 as well.

Interesting...I dug up the page for the no2, but can't figure out how to get to no1. How'd you find that?

Edit: Oh I see...just regular bench plane selection. Those definitely weren't there before. Can't imagine getting a no1 for $225.

I'm on the list for the iron #3. Hoping....
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I wouldn't count on the notifications coming before they're sold out. Best bet is to periodically check the site. I've seen a number of odd core2 and lower planes come and go without any notification going out. Such as the no6 some time ago.

Just found the #3 bronze on the website so signed up on the wait list. Might be awhile though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Baney View Post
    Edit: Oh I see...just regular bench plane selection. Those definitely weren't there before. Can't imagine getting a no1 for $225.
    I think my bronze #1 cost more than that about 15-20 years ago.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

In all probability, the listed prices for the planes that are going into production are the last posted prices. I think you will find that when they do come available, the price will be increased. At least, that was the case for the bronze No 4 when a batch of those came available.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    In all probability, the listed prices for the planes that are going into production are the last posted prices. I think you will find that when they do come available, the price will be increased. At least, that was the case for the bronze No 4 when a batch of those came available.
    You’re probably right John. Through, some products have had their price increase despite not being available for a long while, like the skew block plane. Maybe I missed a batch. But to your point, I can’t imagine a no1 selling for the same as a scrub plane. But I can imagine a no3 going for 290 when the 4 is 340.

Things change, but I got this reply from LN on October 5th

The No. 3 in Bronze is likely 6 months to a year out.

Getting samples and castings made in Iron is much faster at the moment so that being said, our No. 3 in Iron will possibly be available between late fall and early next year.

Apologies for the wait, please feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Best regards,
    ~Morgan