Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw blade for brazilian rosewood

Bandsaw blade for brazilian rosewood

I was approached by someone looking to have some Brazilian rosewood guitar sets resawed. They attempted to saw them on a 14" laguna bandsaw with a resaw king blade. After only a couple marginally successful attempts, the blade started throwing teeth, and drifting terribly. I have a 36" Oliver cast iron frame bandsaw, and plenty of experience resawing, but never old-growth rosewood. This stuff feels like iron!
    They have offered to purchase the appropriate blade of my choice, and pay me for my time. There is enough wood here for about 50 guitar sides, backs, and necks. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Blades I would choose for that task, in order of cost.

1.) Lenox Tri-master
    2.) Lenox Woodmaster CT
    3.) Lenox Die-master II

Hope this helps,

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

1” Lennox Tri-Master. 3Tpi Vari pitch blade.
    If they’re paying for the blade, go top shelf.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 11-17-2022 at 7:41 PM.

What ever blade is chosen if you occasionally clean the oils and resins from blade it will last longer. I bet that’s what smoked the resaw king the longer the blade the better. I’ve used a block of white oak and compressed air when it’s really bad I have a organic solvent that works really good but takes more time. There always a chance of getting the blade too soapy if you try.
    My vote is also the woodmaster ct.
    good Luck
    Aj

I wonder if the reason the Resaw King died an early death was because of the low clearance between the teeth and band and the oily sawdust wasn't cleared from the kerf. If so, a blade with higher clearance would be the logical choice.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I wonder if the reason the Resaw King died an early death was because of the low clearance between the teeth and band and the oily sawdust wasn't cleared from the kerf. If so, a blade with higher clearance would be the logical choice.
    Unfortunately I know little about their attempt to re-saw. Their guitars are quite nice, but they were buying the pre-sawn sets. The fact that they struggled so badly had me concerned. They said the wood was nearly impossible to saw.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I'm thinking it was bad setup. He said the teeth would break off at the moment of contact with the wood. He could tell because he could see the tooth fly off when it contacted the wood. Once a tooth was lost, the adjacent teeth would come off next. I'm guessing they got frustrated & started overfeeding the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    1” Lennox Tri-Master. 3Tpi Vari pitch blade.
    If they’re paying for the blade, go top shelf.
    About $500 for a 20' blade! I'm hoping there is some left left on the blade after this job is done.

It could be the wood wasn’t prepared properly and the saw wasn’t setup. I’ve resawed Gabon ebony with a resaw king when I had a Lt 16. What I found not to have the end of the blank off the table it would grab and flex the throat plate.
    i also made sure the rear thrust bearing were very close to the back of the blade and contact at the same time. This avoids self feeding.
    Hands down ebony and Eucalyptus are the nastiest woods I’ve worked.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by jim mills View Post
    I'm thinking it was bad setup. He said the teeth would break off at the moment of contact with the wood. He could tell because he could see the tooth fly off when it contacted the wood. Once a tooth was lost, the adjacent teeth would come off next. I'm guessing they got frustrated & started overfeeding the wood.
    I would say a blade with higher tooth count is in order.
    Using a 3 tpi blade on an extremely hard, dense wood is not going to do it.
    If a tooth is breaking off, it's trying to take too much of a bite that it can not handle. A higher tpi will be slower, but you'll get a better quality cut.
    Brazilian Rosewood is endangered after all, and it is in limited supply in the U.S.
    Get a couple of blades and do some tests, you don't want to waste it
    JMO

Disclaimer: I have never tried this free handing anything through a vertical bandsaw, and would never try it with regards to cutting metal.

Old machine shop trick for large material in a horizontal cutoff saw. Round stock gets cut for awhile, and rotated to reduce the cut width. Flat stock, trailing edge is elevated so the cut runs diagonal through it. Either a bar underneath, or a plate clamped to the jaw above to wedge it against depending on width to thickness ratio.

So I'm visualizing a pair of sleds, or maybe just one, that props the piece up at an angle. Cut halfway, or whatever it will stand, and clear the material below the first cut with it flat on the table. Rinse and repeat ...

Quote Originally Posted by jim mills View Post
    ... He said the teeth would break off at the moment of contact with the wood. …
    This makes me wonder of the guides were not set correctly.

For example if the guides were set too far forward (too close to the teeth) and there was too much gap between the back of the blade and the thrust bearing (on either the upper, lower, or both guides) then contact with the wood could push the blade back and cause the teeth to contact the guides.

And if the blade tension was set too low that might contribute to the problem.

JKJ

$500 is a small fraction of the value of that wood. I would try another Resaw King just to try to avoid losing any more of the wood than possible, but on someone elses' saw than the one they had trouble with. I would also prefer a power feeder.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    This makes me wonder of the guides were not set correctly.

For example if the guides were set too far forward (too close to the teeth) and there was too much gap between the back of the blade and the thrust bearing (on either the upper, lower, or both guides) then contact with the wood could push the blade back and cause the teeth to contact the guides.

And if the blade tension was set too low that might contribute to the problem.

JKJ
    I wondered the same thing after reading that. I can't imagine the teeth on a carbide blade shearing off from hitting wood. Metal, yes.

John

There are too many variables to factor to know what happened on the original failed cuts.
    TPI, spacing, height, rake angle, tension feed rate/pressure and so on, not to mention the saw setup.
    Forget what failed before and start fresh.
    In my experience, many tropical hardwoods cut more like soft metals (aluminium & brass) than wood. Just something to consider.