Thread: Seat profile

Seat profile

Made a couple seats for some bar stools. They type of work the CNC is satisfying for. The profile was random - generated in VCarve using the Molding tool path and sweeping around a vector.

68990156828__26BE06D0-8484-4EDB-9DAE-D3229B889121.jpg

Then a (messy) test cut.

IMG_5736.jpg

And some mess up where the tool buried itself. Not quite sure what happened there tbh - a reset seemed to fix everything - I must have not had something homed right. Luckily it cleaned up with the profile cut.
    IMG_5741.jpg
    IMG_5742.jpg
    69015680237__ACF19E11-35C5-4BAA-B129-1C543E54C82D.jpg

Excellent work, Carl. I'm glad you discovered that the Molding Tool Path in the Vectric software is incredibly useful/powerful for contouring as an alternative to much slower cutting 3D modeling only available in Aspire.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's really nice, Carl. I wonder if that same approach could be used on an incline, so the back of the seat is deeper than the front. Of along a contour line like the seat in a rocking chair. Any thoughts? Anyone?

John

I 'think' the vector is only 2 dimensional John, but it might be possible to 'trick' it into an incline by tilting the surface to be machined. The CNC would be profiling based on whatever working 'plane' it is told to. Then put the piece in with the back raised to where its a tilted plane.

That might be a way....

Alternatively you could machine as a 3D surface - for that it could be modeled in some other software (I use OnShape), then imported and the 3D surface carved with the 3D finishing toolpath. Pretty straightforward in that way, but you would need the stl file via some other package.

Are my first thoughts

Thanks for the feedback Carl. I created a 3D model in SketchUP but it wasn't easy having to use several add-ons and wasn't good enough for prime time. I had never heard of OnShape until you mentioned it. Are you using the free version?

John

Yes, OnShape is free for education use (my kids all use the same acct). They are 3D printer users but still need the model to start.

There is a long history of solid modeling CAD programs by the same guys - from ProE to SolidWorks to OnShape (essentially the same founders keep launching new businesses, after some law suits).

It is a decent full featured CAD program (I have used many), and web based which means any computer will run it and its setup for sharing files. They all have the same learning curve though, you have to get used to working with solids. OnShape is a bit less parametric than SolidWorks, which is easier for some.

The program I have the least experience with is Fusion - a lot of people use it. I got off the AutoDesk bandwagon many years ago and never gravitated back, although I know the software has completely changed.

Thanks Carl. I used AutoCad LT (2d) at work but moved to SketchUp when I retired and am pretty good with it, but it's not good for compound curve surfaces, or at least I'm not good using it for that. I tried Fusion 360 but couldn't get over the initial hump in order to do anything of value. The written tutorial I had was not consistent with the product or on-line tutorials. It was pretty frustrating and I didn't need that. I'll take a look at OnShape to see if it suits me better. I appreciate the info.

John