Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White Oak is dear and it creates issues - - - Wood in the Shendandoah

My local lumber yard said they'll be pushing Ash now as a substitute for white oak since the pricing has gotten so crazy. $16 a board foot here. I don't care for Ash at all though, so if I need the oak, I buy the oak.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Hall View Post
    My local lumber yard said they'll be pushing Ash now as a substitute for white oak since the pricing has gotten so crazy. $16 a board foot here. I don't care for Ash at all though, so if I need the oak, I buy the oak.
    Wow ! I just bought 150 BF of WO in Medford for 7.83 a BF at CS Hardwoods (541) 830-4154 give em a call if you need a lot it would be worth the drive. Also I was just at Cross Cut hardwoods in Eugene and they have 5/4 WO for 11.19 a BF & they have store in Portland http://www.crosscutportland.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Hall View Post
    Ash is beautiful to work with. Rift sawn ash looks almost exactly like rift sawn white oak, even though the color is different. Ash stains and finishes very well and the color won't change over time because there are no tannins in it. Ash is an underappreciated gem.

John

Speaking of lumberyard, do you know any good place to buy lumber in Monterey, Hot Springs area?
    Ed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Aumiller View Post
    FYI, just west of Timberville./Broadway, VA (in northern Rockingham County, VA) is Neff Lumber Mills, 12110 Turleytown Rd, Broadway, VA 22815
    540-215-8113... They mill and kiln dry oak, cherry, walnut, poplar and other species... call them and check there prices...
    they are MUCH cheaper than your prices in the same area... and they are great to work with.... and very honest...

Bought a LOT of beautiful cherry, walnut, poplar from them... not sure of current prices but it will be way less than you are paying...
    No affiliation, just a very satisfied customer...

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Ash is beautiful to work with. Rift sawn ash looks almost exactly like rift sawn white oak, even though the color is different. Ash stains and finishes very well and the color won't change over time because there are no tannins in it. Ash is an underappreciated gem.

John
    Client was thrilled with it and I didn't have any issue working it, but for some reason it just doesn't jump off the wood rack at me. Here's the install from yesterday. Storage bench in a window bay. I did a little photo editing to make the grain pop a bit since the client wanted to DIY finish.
    IMG_0815.jpg

I seem to lean towards maple, cherry, and walnut for my personal taste. I may gain a greater appreciation for white oak in the months to come. I've got two large kitchen builds to do so I'll be working it more than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduard Nemirovsky View Post
    Speaking of lumberyard, do you know any good place to buy lumber in Monterey, Hot Springs area?
    Ed.

Sorry, I am in the Woodstock, VA area....
    Too far from you..

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Thomas, you’ve found my lumber stomping grounds! Nelson Martin is a great dude, I always enjoy a visit with him. Where are you located?

And Ron, did your daughter go to MMA? I live in Woodstock.
    Jeff, you have a message.

Hmm, that must be brown or green ash. It doesn't look like the white ash I normally use.

The stiles on the right side is what rift sawn looks like - a lot like RS white oak.

Try some white ash. In WNY, where I live, white oak is around $7.50/bf for plain sawn, around $10/bf for rift or QS. Ash is around $4.

John
    Last edited by John TenEyck; 11-22-2022 at 10:35 AM.