Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oliver machines

Oliver machines

Does anyone have any experience with the new Oliver machines? I'm looking to add a new drill press and jointer and woodcraft now has Oliver, but I can't find anything about the newer machines.

The 68 lbs 'portable' 12.5 X 5" planer looks interesting with the Wixey height/cutting gauge and Byrd Shelix cutter head. Would even be better if it had two speeds.

I have the Oliver 4240 10" jointer with a Byrd head. Baldor 5HP 3 phase motor on mine through a VFD from Jack Fossberg. I am the third owner. The first two were commercial shops in Miami doing cabinet work on yachts. Beautiful machine. Heavy duty throughout.

Just a hobby and craft woodworker here so I have not run thousands of board feet through it. A 10" wide piece of live oak does not even slow down the machine though. Went from a 4" Delta Homecraft to this. Talk about floating on cloud nine.

Steve Wall Lumber(Mayodan,NC) was a dealer(may still be) for Oliver machines.
    When I worked for him, we had a 25" Dbl surfacer, shaper, band saw, & Straight line rip in the shop.
    All are well built and reasonable fit and finish. I don't recall why but, the lathe seemed to be dud.
    Call Clint Dillon(new owner) at Wall I'm sure he'll be happy to answer any questions.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

One or more folks I follow on the 'Tube, including Andy Rawls, are using some new Oliver machinery which is pretty impressive.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

[QUOTE=Tony Joyce;3224948]Steve Wall Lumber(Mayodan,NC) was a dealer(may still be) for Oliver machines.
    When I worked for him, we had a 25" Dbl surfacer, shaper, band saw, & Straight line rip in the shop.
    All are well built and reasonable fit and finish. I don't recall why but, the lathe seemed to be a dud.

I’m guessing it was of those old ones that the big wheel on it that had to be turned by an apprentice
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 11-20-2022 at 7:58 PM.

I had a blue Oliver jointer 8 inch with the Carbide insert head.
    I bought one when the insert heads just came out on the market. I thought it was going to be a forever machine it didn’t take long for me to find it was a bad choice.
    I did sell it fairly easily.
    Aj

When I hear "Oliver" I always think of their vintage 217 bandsaws and their super heavy duty machinery of yesteryear. Similar with Yates and Kindt-Collins. I am about to get a Yates bandsaw. I do not think I or anyone can get a better bandsaw new. They just do not make them like they used to. I once saw a vintage Oliver Oscillating Spindle sander. Impressive! Way nicer than my Ridgid. The new ones just can't compare. So interesting seeing the newer Oliver machinery. Seems wrong that the name "Oliver" is on it. Just my 0.02

Joel , you need to see the film Oliver! Then you’ll be singing “ Consider yourself at home , consider yourself one of the family!” Think of it
    as “Behavior Modification, with lots of sharp teeth !”

When I hear Oliver, Green Acres comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post

I’m guessing it was of those old ones that the big wheel on it that had to be turned by an apprentice
    No all Oliver equipment we used and sold was new.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Gelman View Post
    When I hear "Oliver" I always think of their vintage 217 bandsaws and their super heavy duty machinery of yesteryear. I do not think I or anyone can get a better bandsaw new. They just do not make them like they used to.
    Perhaps, but it would be interesting to see if the old cast iron works better or worse than the new steel beam band saws from a rigidity perspective. I love old equipment, but sometimes things do improve, and not just from a cost cutting perspective.

over years of auctions only saw one Oliver machine. This table saw, very high quality. Same place had towards 10 bandsaws, all italian and one Tannewitz. Only one id ever seen at an auction. hard to walk away from.

P2190365A.jpg

When just the brand was sold to the new importing company, I was concerned with their strong linking to the vintage company. It even used pictures of old factory buildings in Grand Rapids that were basically deserted. And checking their site they use a picture of a Grand Rapids building that burnt down in 2015. All the while the new corporation was located in Seattle, Wa,. Sure the brand was purchased, but their marketing put me off. No idea about the machinery, but all is made overseas at factories that build machinery for so many other companies.
    Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 12.31.51 PM.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    When just the brand was sold to the new importing company, I was concerned with their strong linking to the vintage company. It even used pictures of old factory buildings in Grand Rapids that were basically deserted. And checking their site they use a picture of a Grand Rapids building that burnt down in 2015. All the while the new corporation was located in Seattle, Wa,. Sure the brand was purchased, but their marketing put me off. No idea about the machinery, but all is made overseas at factories that build machinery for so many other companies.
    Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 12.31.51 PM.jpg

The (original) oliver parts and records went to eagle machine, which was recently sold to https://straitoplane.com/