Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IF I bought a Festool sander and vac...

One last thing I use my mini with the ATF55, Dewalt biscuit jointer, PC 8529, OF1400, and a bunch of other stuff. They all work great and the collection is awesome. Again, I do like the CT22 and may buy at some time, but since I have a mini already it's hard to justify the additional money to spend then not use the mini.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.

Mission of the 'mini'

Bob Marino explained to me that Festool aims the mini vac at installers and the CT22 and higher at shops. Kinda makes sense. Being lazy, my choice goes for the big bag!

Boy, you guys sure make it hard

It sounds like I really probably should only consider the Turbo II or the CT 22. Both have good and bad (or at least not ideal) points, and I have more questions for you owners. If I buy either of these vacs now, I probably have to hold off buying a sander, especially since most people are recommending the more expensive 6" sanders. This means I'll be using my existing Porter Cable and Ridgid sanders for some time to come.

First, what do I need to do to adapt a Festool hose to fit my PC tools with the 1" OD connection? How about tools with a 1-1/4" ID connection?

Does the Fein fit tools with the 1-1/4" connection without adapters? I read somewhere it will fit the PC tools with some tape wrapped around the tool's connection.

Why can't the Fein hose be adapted to fit Festool tools? Is it that its not even close? Or could I make it work with a little engineering?

Is the 10A limit on the Festool port real, or because circuits are 20A and running the vac and 10A tool max's the circuit? I run my current 10A vac and 15A circular saw on the same circuit without trouble--never actually thought about it being heavily loaded before this thread. Obviously those ratings are not accurate in general use--probably only with the saw cutting in heavy material and the vac plugged.

Pluses for the Festool include variable speed, hose that fits Festool tools, more stable design. Minus is the cost, lower rating on the auto switch and the unknown of if the hose fits my current tools.

Pluses for the Fein include the higher rating on the auto switch, hose that is more likely to fit my tools, cost. Minuses include probably having to buy a Festool hose, less stable design.

Neither vac comes standard with storage for hose, so its a wash there (that was a plus on the CT Mini ) The Festool is louder at full speed, but quieter at lower speeds which would usually be used for sanding. I can actually purchase both locally from the same store. He's pushing the Festool harder, but still carries both. The only drawback to buying locally is sales tax. I mean at least until next year when I dutifully report my mail order purchases at tax time. Honestly, I'm leaning towards the Fein as the one with more value/$, but I'd really like the Festool.

Matt, don't forget that if you buy the Festool sander with the Festool vac...there can be an additional discount involved. Talk to Uncle Bob about that! BTW, you'll pay sales tax on Festool pretty much everywhere...if there is an ISA in your state (and there obviously is), they collect tax. I pay tax in PA for Festool, even though I buy from Bob in NJ and it's shipped from another state directly by the vendor. Why? There are Festool ISAs in PA which count as a "presence".
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-26-2006 at 9:24 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser
    Does the Fein fit tools with the 1-1/4" connection without adapters?
    Fein sells a step adaptor that will fit the PC sander or anything else between 1 1/4" to 1" (4 steps). You can cut it off to fit whatever.

Why can't the Fein hose be adapted to fit Festool tools?
    Probably can, but Festool isn't going to make it easy. This is the only thing that I dislike about the Festool "system". Great tools, but they don't play well with others.

Pluses for the Fein include the higher rating on the auto switch, hose that is more likely to fit my tools, cost. Minuses include probably having to buy a Festool hose, less stable design.
    Another plus for the Fein: no filter bags to buy for the Fein

I've had the Turbo II for over 5 years now. Great vacuum and was the only one to consider until Festool came along, IMO. Two things I don't like about the Fein, cheesy little wheels and the most uncomfortable handle you'll ever find on a (otherwise) fine vacuum.

Good Luck.
    ___
    Rick

Only one Festool sander??? The 150/5 is the easy choice, IMHO. I have 4 Festool sanders and that 150/5 is my "go to" unit 90% of the time! Great control, smooth, aggressive if you want it to be but, plenty docile to take care of finishing work just as easily.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Boy, you guys sure make it hard

It sounds like I really probably should only consider the Turbo II or the CT 22. Both have good and bad (or at least not ideal) points, and I have more questions for you owners. If I buy either of these vacs now, I probably have to hold off buying a sander, especially since most people are recommending the more expensive 6" sanders. This means I'll be using my existing Porter Cable and Ridgid sanders for some time to come.

First, what do I need to do to adapt a Festool hose to fit my PC tools with the 1" OD connection? How about tools with a 1-1/4" ID connection?

Does the Fein fit tools with the 1-1/4" connection without adapters? I read somewhere it will fit the PC tools with some tape wrapped around the tool's connection.

Why can't the Fein hose be adapted to fit Festool tools? Is it that its not even close? Or could I make it work with a little engineering?

Is the 10A limit on the Festool port real, or because circuits are 20A and running the vac and 10A tool max's the circuit? I run my current 10A vac and 15A circular saw on the same circuit without trouble--never actually thought about it being heavily loaded before this thread. Obviously those ratings are not accurate in general use--probably only with the saw cutting in heavy material and the vac plugged.

Pluses for the Festool include variable speed, hose that fits Festool tools, more stable design. Minus is the cost, lower rating on the auto switch and the unknown of if the hose fits my current tools.

Neither vac comes standard with storage for hose, so its a wash there (that was a plus on the CT Mini ) The Festool is louder at full speed, but quieter at lower speeds which would usually be used for sanding. I can actually purchase both locally from the same store. He's pushing the Festool harder, but still carries both. The only drawback to buying locally is sales tax. I mean at least until next year when I dutifully report my mail order purchases at tax time. Honestly, I'm leaning towards the Fein as the one with more value/$, but I'd really like the Festool.
    Buying the Festool vac now and the sander later gives up a substantial package savings.

The Festool hose fits fine on the PC biscuit jointer I have, the Fein needs a Fein step adapter and a little tape. The Festool hose fits on the Dewalt 618 plunge base without the Dewalt included adapter, the Fein fits the plunge with the adapter.

I put a few wraps of rubber tape around the Festool sander and slid a Fein straight adapter onto the tape and it worked OK at best (still slipped off at times). I've seen an adapter duct-taped to the Festool sander (ugly, but it works). If you ever decide to buy a Festool circular saw or other tool that has an oval shape to it, you'll probably bite the bullet and buy the Festool hose to avoid a lot of hair pulling. I found it easier all around to have the extra Festool hose with the Fein so I can hook up whichever fits the tool at hand better. (Actually, I might have bought a Fein hose if I had the Festool vac.) Anyway, Festool should realize there are more tools in the world besides theirs and make one adapter to fit their vac onto other equipment and another adapter to fit other vacs onto their tools (might actually generate more sales for them).

The ratings for power tools used on the vac autostart are internal ratings of the vac circuitry and not to be confused with your shop circuit ratings. Hard to say how much of a safety factor is included in those ratings.

No matter where you buy Festool equipment, Festool will charge you Michigan sales tax (sorry).

Wanna buy my year-old Fein and I'll buy a new Festool?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Shelton

I've had the Turbo II for over 5 years now. Great vacuum and was the only one to consider until Festool came along, IMO. Two things I don't like about the Fein, cheesy little wheels and the most uncomfortable handle you'll ever find on a (otherwise) fine vacuum.
    I don't mind the wheels and handle, but I don't like that there's no place to store the accessories if you don't buy the $60 wire basket that should cost $6.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Shelton
    Fein sells a step adaptor that will fit the PC sander or anything else between 1 1/4" to 1" (4 steps). You can cut it off to fit whatever.

Probably can, but Festool isn't going to make it easy. This is the only thing that I dislike about the Festool "system". Great tools, but they don't play well with others.

Another plus for the Fein: no filter bags to buy for the Fein

Good Luck.
    As stated I have the mini Fein. I use the step adpaters and cut them to fit each of my festool tools. You actually only have about a 2" piece attached and they work fine. I will try and remember to post a pic tonight of the set up if desired by folks.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Coffelt
    I will try and remember to post a pic tonight of the set up if desired by folks.
    I'd like to see that.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Talking

The Festool Mini has been a great asset to my shop. With all the remuttling going on, easy and portable.
    It is also a great help in transporting and storage of other Systainers. Really like the stacking system. Rotex has been a great performer for heavy work and the I'm just waiting for the PC333 to die so I can add another Fes to the pile. I keep mysteriously knocking the PC on the floor .
    I tried the adapters for my Fein and all the connections got unwieldy. Finally bought the Mini.
    Not sure if it has been said but the Festool hoses are a great fit for the Fein Vacs.
    PS the Mini Is not a shop Vac it is a "Dust Extractor"!!!!!
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 01-27-2006 at 12:54 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I stopped by the local distributor after work today and tried out the ETS 150/3 and CT 22. We also tried the hose on a couple of the PC tools I have and it fit pretty good. I think with a wrap or two of tape on the tool fittings, it would fit very well. I also looked at the Fein. We had both running on the floor and standing between them, I thought the Fein was a little quieter than the Festool on full speed, but the Festool was definitely quieter on low speed. After adding a Hepa filter to the Fein, both are pretty close to the same cost. I can also use my existing 2-1/2" hose and tools for cleanup with both which would be a cost savings. I really like the sander as well but would probably get the 150/5 model based on comments here.

I'll have to see if I can get SWMBO to bite. I'm going to sell it on the health issues--vibration, dust, and noise. Not sure if she'll let me spend what will be close to $800 with tax, sandpaper, and vac bags though.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 01-27-2006 at 5:57 PM.

If the safety features you mention don't clinch it, you can always tell her how long the sandpaper discs last and that you can therefore save money on consumables...

Of course you could always put these on and beg (or pray)...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I asked tonight and she said yes! Looks like I'll probably have them by this time next week.

It helped a lot that I'm delivering my sliding table to the buyer tomorrow and told her I can sell my current sanders to help fund the purchase--and our anniversary is coming up. Apparently 5 years is the black and green anniversary???