Thread: Buying new Grizzley 15" planer

Buying new Grizzley 15" planer

I recently sold my old Griz planer and am going to buy a new one. The old one had the tables moving up and down and I see you can get a fixed table with the head moving up and down. Other than the ability to have off feed table matched up with the planer tables, what are the advantages to each?

I have a Delta DC33 (G0815 is similar to it) planer so I have a fair amount of experience with a fixed table planer. One advantage I have that the Grizzly doesn't is mine has folding extension wings to the table where the Grizzly doesn't.
    To me, the big advantage of this machine over the ones with a fixed cutterhead and movable table is that you set up infeed and outfeed supports and don't have to touch them again because the table never moves.
    I have 2 planers, one benchtop and one bigger and both are the same configuration. I cannot speak to those that the table moves.
    Hope that helps.

Joe,

I'm not sure there is an advantage to one design other than the table supports.

If it makes any difference I've had both styles and they both work fine when setup correctly. The table moves of my Hammer A3-41 and the results are the same as the PM-15 which I owned previously.

I didn't/don't use infeed or outfeed support on either models.

Lots of good options on the market. Buy the one you like. I've had good luck with Grizzly stuff.

I've got the ShopFox 1742H which has a movable table, with built-in outfeed tables, and a fixed head. I understand the rational for the fixed tables, but I've yet to run into a need for more support, even with long pieces. OTOH, I have not yet made a door, or bed rails, which would have pieces in the 5-6' range, so maybe at that point the fixed heads become an advantage? Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it too much.

That having been said, I am not as impressed from what I can see of the G891/G0890/W1874, since the head appears to be less substantial than the 1742H. I've examined similar models at my local Woodcraft, and it just doesn't seem as beefy. I also can't help noticing that Grizzly's South Bend which is their high end brand is also a movable table/fixed head design, as are all of their other more expensive models. Could be nothing, could be everything I don't know.
    Last edited by Andrew More; 11-21-2022 at 11:48 AM.

Joe, I've had both table moving up and head moving down. Both seemed to work fine but I like the table moving up better. The backlash in the elevation screw moving the table up is always working in my favor. The downside as you stated but for me, I've always been able to get away with the attached extensions.

I ended up buying the grizzley 15" Extreme model. I had just received my new 8" jointer from them and was impressed with all. The way it was packed and shipped was excellent. I had purchased a Felder Hammer A3-31 in April (sold it in early November)and it came in with a skelton of some 2X4's wrapped in shrink wrap and a bent piece of the machine. Sold that one, and Grizzley came in framed with a full plywood surround and I did not have any headaches with dents and possible shipping issues.

Glad it went well for you. I've had to return a couple of grizzly machines due to shipping damage (it happens) but I also think the company provides a decent machine at a decent price so there's some green in my shop. Planer and jointer specifically.

Grizzly 17” and 19” bandsaws have a great reputation as well. I have the 19” version and it’s performed great for the past 4 years.