Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrical Code Question

Electrical Code Question

Since electrical outlets in houses are installed so the plugins are aligned vertically, is there anything in the code that would disallow rotating the fixture 90* so the plugins are horizontal, (side by side) when wiring a shop?

This would save some space for me and allow the top cabinets to be mounted slightly lower, since the metal cross framing member on my steel building is right where I would llike to mount the outlets.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Another Question

To the best of my knowledge, the code does NOT specify which way to mount them and also I don't think that the code says which way is up. Anyone who has an answer on this, I would be interested in knowing. I have seen it done both ways in commercial band residential buildings. In steel buildings, often a horizontal conduit run is done with the outlets mounted horizontally.

CPeter

My 1999 Alberta codebook states that: "Duplex plug outlets may be installed in either the horizontal or vertical plane". (rules 26-700)

I would guess your region should also allow this.

I don't think there's any code which requires the outlets to have a certain orientation but I'll let Barry give a reading on this. One reason I think this is that good electricans usually mount switched outlets (outlets controlled by a switch) upside down (with the ground lug up) as a signal to you that the outlet is switched. That way, you don't go crazy wondering why there's no power on that outlet when the switch happens to be turned off.

Mike

I imagine there's no reason you couldn't mount a duplex box horizontally or why you couldn't have outlets side by side. After all, you'd have outlets side by side in a fourplex box.

I installed all of our outlets with the ground pin on top. That's the way it is done in the hospital and my understanding for the reason behind it is to make the ground pin the first thing likely to get hit if someone were to drop something like a paper clip on a partially unplugged cord.

I've replaced a couple of cord caps in exam rooms because some kid wasn't being watched closely enough by a parent and had a paper clip. That kind of thing is hard on the wallpaper, too.

There is no code. You can have them at any angle on the wall, ceiling, or floor.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Ok, Thanks folks. I knew I hadn't found anything on it in any Reference material I have, but just wanted to be sure before I plan it that way, and look like more of an idiot than I already am, when I apply for a permit.

There is no specification or restriction in the NEC 2005 with respect to the orientation of a receptacle, either vertical or horizontal (both are acceptable). However, similar to Dave's comments, experienced electricians who employ sound installation practices will typically mount vertically oriented receptacles with the ground up and horizontally oriented receptacles with the neutral up. However unlikely the scenario, the rationale is that if a metal cover plate works its way loose and slips downward, it will not short (or arc) against the hot conductor. Having said that, electricians will frequently identify a switched outlet by orienting it opposite the other receptacles in a given room, as mentioned by Mike, implying that at least one receptacle in a room will violate the above practice in this scenario.

Stu

Yup, no restrictions re: horizontal or vertical in the NEC. I've never heard of the "switched outlet with ground up" thing; I wonder if it's one of those arcane regional quirks that seem so common in the construction trades.

There was a big long discussion on one of the professional electricians' forums about "ground up or down?" awhile back. Technically, ground lug up is preferable, in that the plug stays in place a bit better, and if a metal cover plate works loose, there is less chance of it causing a short. OTOH, there are alot of appliance plugs and extension cords designed assuming that the outlet is installed ground down. The consensus bottomed out to install them ground down, except when metal coverplates are used. But this is really down in the nit-picking stage, and most inspectors will accept either.
    Last edited by Barry O'Mahony; 01-26-2006 at 3:54 AM.

Thanks Barry & Stu, for putting the "Official Word" on the answer. This orientation will really help in my application, and besides all that, at that wall level, I just like the side by side plugs when two tools are plugged in at the same time, better than the vertical orientation. I will mount them with the neutral slot on top, even though I will probably use plastic covers on the metal boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Mahony
    There was a big long discussion on one of the professional electricians' forums about "ground up or down?" awhile back. Technically, ground lug up is preferable, in that the plug stays in place a bit better, and if a metal cover plate works loose, there is less chance of it causing a short. OTOH, there are alot of appliance plugs and extension cords designed assuming that the outlet is installed ground down. The consensus bottomed out to install them ground down, except when metal coverplates are used. But this is really down in the nit-picking stage, and most inspectors will accept either.
    This topic is a recurring debate, even among professional sparkies. In terms of which holds a plug in better, the common opinion I've seen is that the grounding pin down holds a plug in better than grounding pin up.

Rob

I personally like the ground pin down from the standpoint that the receptacle looks like a "sad" face and is a reminder to be careful around electricity. I had never thought of orienting so the hot leg couldnt contact a metal plate, but then I've only ever used plastic except on a phone wall mount receptacle at times. Jim

(no, I'm not an electrician, nor have I stayed in a Holiday Inn recently )
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by P. Michael Henderson
    I don't think there's any code which requires the outlets to have a certain orientation but I'll let Barry give a reading on this. One reason I think this is that good electricans usually mount switched outlets (outlets controlled by a switch) upside down (with the ground lug up) as a signal to you that the outlet is switched. That way, you don't go crazy wondering why there's no power on that outlet when the switch happens to be turned off.
    Hmmm...I've never seen that. Then again, I've never seen a duplex outlet box where both outlets were switched, either, which makes what you've described a bit tricky to implement.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Lee, most "switched outlets" have only one of the outlets connected to the switch (very often the top outlet). The other outlet is generally unswitched. However, this configuration is referred to as a "switched outlet" and is often installed upside down to let you know that it is switched. There's no code that requires it, just like aligning the screw head slots on the plate in an up and down direction to align with the slots on the plug - it's just considered good practice and is noticed and appreciated by those "in the know".

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by P. Michael Henderson
    Lee, most "switched outlets" have only one of the outlets connected to the switch (very often the top outlet). The other outlet is generally unswitched. However, this configuration is referred to as a "switched outlet" and is often installed upside down to let you know that it is switched. There's no code that requires it, just like aligning the screw head slots on the plate in an up and down direction to align with the slots on the plug - it's just considered good practice and is noticed and appreciated by those "in the know".

Mike
    Ok...I thought you meant the switched outlet of the pair was pointing up and the unswitched outlet was pointed down: neat trick if you can pull it off.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.