Thread: Generac Adventure

Generac Adventure

Yesterday evening the power went out, on the eve of Thanksgiving when pies were going into ovens etc. Big day planned today. Some consternation around the hood.

Anyway, we have a generator so not much to worry about, except it chose that time to fail. 'Low oil pressure' No complaints, it has been perfect for 8 years, it has about 200 hours so pretty much like new condition. Had to find an online tutorial to find out how to reset for another try. The manual is a little thin. I could not find a control schematic by dim flashlight and couldn't find one on line.

There was a little oil dripping from the switch so it was an easy fix, except a switch was not at hand. A plug and a jumper wire didn't get it going either. Well it would run for 20 seconds then shut down, as it should. Time to give up.

This morning I took another look. In the daylight I spied NC on the switch. DOH. Unplugged the jumper and it ran perfectly all day. The power came back on today before dark so we're all good.

So I guess my only complaint is about the lack of a control schematic. Anyone have one? Generac 16 kw natural gas with whole house transfer switch, and not internet connected.

Blog Entries
    Tom,
    whatare NC and DOH?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Tom,
    whatare NC and DOH?
    NC is normally closed. Doh think of the simpsons
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Tom,
    whatare NC and DOH?
    NC is normally closed for the switch rather than NO normally open on the switch DOH is a quote from the great Homer Simpson regarding realizing that you have done something simple completely backward

John