Thread: Need parts...

Need parts...

I have a friend who is restoring a Delta Rockwell radial arm saw and it is quite old. He went to our local Delta tool supplier but they couldn't help him out. Anyone have any suggestions to help him out? And thanks in advance.

His email to me:
    __________________________________________________ ____________

Hey Steve Here is all the info I have, DELTA/ ROCKWELL MODEL NH3466, S# MX36120.

The Parts I Need Are The Cooling Fin And Bearing That Are Right Next To The Saw Blade On The Elc, Motor.

Steve,

The obvious place is the Old Woodworking Machines website. It's a wealth of information, and probably the second best forum around.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

A car guy like yourself can point him in the right direction (bearing house) for the bearing once you get the number off the present bearing - assuming there is a present bearing. Cooling fin could be another mater - no photo, no idea.
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

Check your local electric motor repair service. Delta didn't make the motors. In most manufacturers certain things are jobbed outside the company. Bearings...look in the yellow pages under bearings.
    wwwbearingbrokersinc.com has the best prices. Was paying about $1.50 for Unisaw bearings when I was working for a dealer as a tech.

You might PM John Weber and see if he can help. He sells a lot of NOS Delta/Rockwell parts and might know where to get the parts your friend needs if he doesn't have them.

The model number posted isn't a Delta number I recognize. (Maybe it's off the motor.) The serial number indicates it's an older MultiPlex saw, originally made by Red Star. An earlier poster's suggestion (to try a motor shop) is probably best. The fan would likely be something specific to the motor manufacturer that Delta sourced the motor from. The bearing should be a standard part that the motor shop will either have on hand or can source easily. (Or your friend can save some money by sourcing directly as previously suggested.) Nice of you to help your friend.

Good luck,
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Aahah... I wondered if it was old enough to be by Red Star.
    There is a manual, operating instructions, company history and a few photos at OWWM. I looked it up for a guy claiming to have a "like brand new Model 40" maybe 8 months ago. He was wanting to find info on the saw that was given to him so he could advertise it for sale.

http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/detail.asp?ID=685

I know the guy wanted me to tell him he had hit the motherload/jackpot/lotto and was very disappointed when I estimated $450. to $750. (sight unseen) but in "excellent condition" - his words. Two weeks later a Model 40 sold for $410. IIRC on eBay and it was in OKAY condition judging from the photos. It took great restraint on my part not to pursue purchasing the local Old Iron but I did with minimal withdrawal ... 20 years ago I wouldn't have passed it up.
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve