Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Social Security Question for anyone who knows

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Not sure I would call that fair. Two people retire with identical income histories, the married one gets more because their of their spouse's income history?
    The gubmint, in its infinite wisdom, has decided that marriage is a societal benefit and provides any number of financial incentives to promote it.

Not sure I would call that fair. Two people retire with identical income histories, the married one gets more because their of their spouse's income history?

I just got home from work and saw that there were a few more responses. Thanks, I will do the "have them call me back" approach.

I'm not going to get into fair or not as there are A LOT of things that aren't fair. But you are saying "2 people retire with identical income histories" is not what I was asking...not saying you can't ask something else, just clarifying.

My understanding was whichever spouse has higher SS benefits due to a higher paying job over their career, does the one with less still get 1/2 of their spouses if they still take their part early, age 62, and wait for the 1/2 rule to kick in when the other spouse takes their full benefits at age 67. Jack posted that's exactly what happened with his wife and it's the same situation that I'll be in within a few years.

I'll call the Office on Friday and see how that goes but I'm sure Jack is correct. Thanks to ALL who posted responses.
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

David, with my parents, my Father's SS was higher than my mothers because other that before she had kids, she did not work outside of the home. They both received a monthly benefit, but I do not know how hers was determined since SS wasn't on my radar back then. It was a reasonable amount, too. When my father passed away, her payment changed to what his was and hers went away. That's how the survivorship worked...survivor gets whichever is the higher amount. I've never heard of an increased benefit while both spouses are living, so yea...you need to talk with the "horse's mouth" and chat with SSA for clarification.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by David Cramer View Post
    I'm not going to get into fair or not as there are A LOT of things that aren't fair. But you are saying "2 people retire with identical income histories" is not what I was asking...not saying you can't ask something else, just clarifying.
    Didn't mean to sidetrack your thread, just curious as I said in my first post.

This is absolutely a fascinating thread that could be important to many people. I will be calling my local SSA soon. Very glad this thread was started.

I think you will find that as I mentioned the spouse that retires early is penalized as pertaining too the 1/2 rule

I know my wife worked and her benifits wasn't as much as she thought. She did get spousal benifits but they did not equal half of my benifits. Same for my 2 sister in laws.

All I know is my mother gets 50% of what my father gets. Her case may be different because she didn't work the minimum 40 quarters to qualify for Social Security. My parents assumed only my father would get any Social Security benefits when they planned for retirement. It was a surprise to them that she gets any Social Security at all. My mother will go from 50% to 100% of my father's benefit if he dies first. They both applied for Social Security when my father retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Force View Post
    I think you will find that as I mentioned the spouse that retires early is penalized as pertaining too the 1/2 rule
    That is certainly true and it could personally affect me. But I opted to take mine at 62 because it nearly doubled our disabled daughter's income, allowing her to live in her own apartment (with additional subsidy) and I'm fine with the implication. Statistically, it doesn't matter in the end...folks who opt in at 62 and folks who wait until 65 or 70 typically get about the same total income in their lifetimes from SS. But the monthly total being higher for folks who wait a little longer can certainly have greater impact on those who do not have other retirement resources that can provide enough income to live on. It can be pretty complex to make these decisions!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    . It can be pretty complex to make these decisions!

The only way you could actually calculate the exact correct answer would be to know the date of your death and the date of your spouses death. I lost my crystal ball when I moved out of my apartment!

Like you said, people generally get the same dollar amount IF they die on their actuarial death date. I believe that is the way it was set up.

Yup, they set it up so folks could choose to get a little less per "pay period" if they started prior to their target date; the normal amount at about age 65 per "pay period" and for those who want to throw the dice, even more per "pay period" at age 70. As you and I both note, overall lifetime payout will likely be the same...
    --

Talking

Didn't mean to sidetrack your thread, just curious as I said in my first post.

It's all good. The more info the better!

I see the other responses below mine from yesterday. I am calling my local office tomorrow and setting up an appointment to get to the bottom of this elusive question...not really elusive but I truly wanna know as in a few years I'd like to do the smartest thing financially that I can.

O.T., but the financial advisor put me living till 92 and my wife till 94!!! I don't smoke or drink at all and work out 4-5 days a week, but...I don't see myself living till 92!!!!!

But that's what got me thinking about doing things right. Oddly, I never even thought about S.S. until a couple year ago, it just never dawned on me. Go figure

Whatever they tell me at my local office I will immediately share. I have no idea how long it will take to see someone, but I definitely want an in person session to hear the get the right answer.

David, when I took my daughter to meet with the local office, the representative we saw was extremely helpful and knowledgeable...he very much cared about insuring things were set up correctly. In fact, he's the one who clued me into the SSI benefit that would be available to my daughter when I began to take benefits. And yes, having an appointment is a very good idea.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    David, when I took my daughter to meet with the local office, the representative we saw was extremely helpful and knowledgeable...he very much cared about insuring things were set up correctly. In fact, he's the one who clued me into the SSI benefit that would be available to my daughter when I began to take benefits. And yes, having an appointment is a very good idea.

Thank you Jim! I had been doing the 800 number and going from clean shaven to a beard while on hold I'll be doing the face to face and will report back. Have a great day Jim!

I certainly cannot answer your question, too many variables, SS like all gov't programs is a can of worms. However below is a link to a SS calculator that I have found informative by plugging in numbers for your various life scenarios.

https://opensocialsecurity.com/