Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions on Jointers

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bahr View Post
    Thanks John,

What differentiates a "Made in China" machine vs a "Made in Taiwan" machine like a paint scheme or ???

Thanks

Ray

Look them over closely. The spec sheet tells where they are built and what the warranty is. priced from 2k to 3.5k 12 different machines in floor models, 3 different brands.
    I have a Shop Fox and am very happy with it. I also am in the process of replacing a motor on a MinMax 12" jointer/planer, once this is working it will be interesting which one becomes my favorite. I think the Shop Fox will always have a place due to the lot longer tables. I started on a 4" jointer, then a 6" and the Shop Fox tables feel so much longer, defiantly nice to use, segmented head is nice also.
    Ron

What do folks think about Grizzly as a brand. I am always hesitant to buy anything Chinese as the quality is often lacking... That said, I have a Chinese DRO on a mill that has worked flawlessly for 7 years or so...

Thanks

Ray
    A lot depends on how you will use it. 8 inch min, longer beds floor mounted. I have a grizzly 8 inch g0586 for years. As a hobbyist 8 inch was fine for me. Had it for 13 years works great for me. Brian

Thanks James - do you mean that the output pulley has a non-standard bore so mounting it on a different motor would be difficult?

Thanks

Ray
    A lot of Chinese machines have iec frame motors with millimeter Dia shafts.

Thanks Everyone.

I have a small Delta 6" that I just finished restoring - mostly, but am looking at 30-40 10+ft boards of Hickory, and I don't think I want to use a hand-plane for that many!

I will likely keep looking at CL in the area as I am kinda cheap and would want to avoid the depreciation hit.

Ray

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Thanks John,

What differentiates a "Made in China" machine vs a "Made in Taiwan" machine like a paint scheme or ???

Thanks

Ray
    The Taiwanese manufacturers have been at it longer in the world market-
    I worked in a shop 20+ years ago where the owner had a blue(their original color) Jet Industrial tilting spindle shaper. He had gone through it and replaced what he considered "crummy" nuts and bolts but other than that nothing else. It was his favorite user among his shapers which included Delta, Wadkin and a large tilting spindle SCMI....
    Some years later (12?) I had need of a similar machine and found the original manufacturer of that Jet, now marketing under their own brand name. Same exact shaper, at a good price. I figure if they were still making the same line of machines, they must be up to snuff. I've been running mine for 8-9 years now, no complaints. And I didn't change any nuts or bolts....
    Ive heard of many mainland china machine failures in too short a time-burned electronics, cracked castings, inaccurate milling on surfaces etc. . Taiwanese machinery tends to be overall better built IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wooden View Post
    The Taiwanese manufacturers have been at it longer in the world market-
    I worked in a shop 20+ years ago where the owner had a blue(their original color) Jet Industrial tilting spindle shaper. He had gone through it and replaced what he considered "crummy" nuts and bolts but other than that nothing else. It was his favorite user among his shapers which included Delta, Wadkin and a large tilting spindle SCMI....
    Some years later (12?) I had need of a similar machine and found the original manufacturer of that Jet, now marketing under their own brand name. Same exact shaper, at a good price. I figure if they were still making the same line of machines, they must be up to snuff. I've been running mine for 8-9 years now, no complaints. And I didn't change any nuts or bolts....
    Ive heard of many mainland china machine failures in too short a time-burned electronics, cracked castings, inaccurate milling on surfaces etc. . Taiwanese machinery tends to be overall better built IMHO
    Thanks Mark, would you be able to share the name of the manufacturer?

Ray

Harvey is a Taiwanese company that makes tools like jointers for a number of brands (Grizzly, Jet, Powermatic). They are now selling some stuff under their own name. What I can't tell you is if Grizzly (which I have several of their tools in my shop) has Harvey build their tools to the same specs and parts as Powermatic. Grizzy use to identify the tools that were made in Taiwan in their catalog. But I'm not sure if they still do.

I currently have a Powermatic 8" HH jointer and a Grizzly 20" planer in my shop. Both work just fine. Both have nice flat tables. However I'm toying with the idea of getting something like that used Hammer you posted a link to to replace the planer. That way when I occasionally get a wide board I can convert it over to a jointer but leave it as a planer most of the time. If you are planning on sticking with woodworking and you can afford it I wouldn't rule out that Hammer. Chances are you'll grow into it.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Harvey is a Taiwanese company that makes tools like jointers for a number of brands (Grizzly, Jet, Powermatic). They are now selling some stuff under their own name. What I can't tell you is if Grizzly (which I have several of their tools in my shop) has Harvey build their tools to the same specs and parts as Powermatic. Grizzy use to identify the tools that were made in Taiwan in their catalog. But I'm not sure if they still do.

I currently have a Powermatic 8" HH jointer and a Grizzly 20" planer in my shop. Both work just fine. Both have nice flat tables. However I'm toying with the idea of getting something like that used Hammer you posted a link to to replace the planer. That way when I occasionally get a wide board I can convert it over to a jointer but leave it as a planer most of the time. If you are planning on sticking with woodworking and you can afford it I wouldn't rule out that Hammer. Chances are you'll grow into it.
    Thanks Alex,

Appreciate the brand name. My problem is that I have "grown into" far to many hobbies / things over the years

Ray

My Jet Mill/drill I dumped the cast iron motor and replaced with a 3phase Baldor. The pulley was metric with no keyway. So I reamed it out to a standard inch size. I bought an adjustable piloted reamer for the job. Surprising how many motor sellers do not state shaft diameter or length. I need a bit bigger diameter then many and the longer the better.
    Do not try it with a non piloted reamer, too likely to go askew.
    Bill D

Thanks James - do you mean that the output pulley has a non-standard bore so mounting it on a different motor would be difficult?

Thanks

Ray
    Its been a while (and we're way outside my area of expertise), but when the motor died I took it to an electric shop in town. I was just going to upgrade it since it was out of warranty and wasn't working. Shop indicated that the output shaft of the motor was non-standard, so if I wanted to put a Baldor or something else on there, there was going to be fabrication of pulleys etc to make it all work together. So I ended up just getting the exact same replacement from Grizzly, which worked fine and all. Just something to be aware of.