Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holder for Domino?

Holder for Domino?

I've had a Domino 500 for a few months now and love it. But when I'm mortising a project and need to set the Domino down, I'm afraid the weight and stiffness of the dust extractor hose is going to pull it off my workbench onto the floor and damage the Domino. One solution is to set the Domino on the floor to ensure it doesn't get dropped but this is inconvenient, so I'm thinking of building a mobile holder/cart that I can set the Domino in when I'm repositioning or re-clamping my project.

I should mention that my dust extractor hose is not Festool; it's a Rockler hose that connects to my Shop Vac. Maybe the Festool hose is lighter and more flexible but I still would worry about it pulling the Domino off the bench and there's also the possibility that a misstep would catch on the hose or power code and pull it off.

Has anyone else encountered this same issue? Any cool approaches to solving this problem?

Tom

I use a 6 or 7' length of 1 1/4" ID hose between the Domino and the shop vac hose (Fein). It's more flexible.

An official Festool hose would probably be worth getting. (insert rant about vac hose compatibility here)

I share your concern, and often unplug the power cord from the machine in between operations to prevent tripping on it and yanking the machine to the floor.

The cord is left plugged in and coiled on the wall, as is the hose, when the tool is put away after use.

yes, unfortunately I stepped on my hose and pulled the Domino to the concrete floor. Ouch! Luckily only bent the curved fence rail, which I managed to bend more or less back in place....fence works, but not as smoothly as before. I was just happy the casting wasn't broken. I have been thinking about coming up with some type of cradle for the Domino so it doesn't slide off my work table, but haven't come up with anything yet. Any ideas?

I built a superstructure on my dust extractor. It has three shelves to hold tools or sandpaper, and a hook to drape the hose over. The whole thing - vacuum plus superstructure - rolls around on the vacuum’s wheels. At various times, you might find the domino there, or a sander, or a saw.

I use a very flexible 1" diameter hose for the domino (unfortunately, I'm not sure who makes it), but more helpful...I have a big carabiner that hangs from the ceiling near my bench. I run both the hose and the cord through the carabiner and over to the central vac inlet that I use to collect dust/chips from smaller tools. That keeps the hose and cord off the floor, and keeps it from pulling down on the domino (or sander or...)
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Blog Entries
    I set it on the floor. I used to work heavy equipment and we learned that an unstable tool (like a 12 pound combination wrench or a welding clamp) can fall no further than the ground. If you set it on the ground it won't fall and hit someone on the head (or ruin the tool). Not super sophisticated or convenient but foolproof.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I set it on the floor. I used to work heavy equipment and we learned that an unstable tool (like a 12 pound combination wrench or a welding clamp) can fall no further than the ground. If you set it on the ground it won't fall and hit someone on the head (or ruin the tool). Not super sophisticated or convenient but foolproof.

Some of us would step on it.

I have the XL so it has a bit more mass. But I really, really, do not like that Rockler small hose. I'm disappointed that Stumpy Nubbs recommended it. He is usually decent in his recommendations but not in this case. It is far too heavy, far too floppy, and the ends don't fit my tools well at all. To me, it is utterly useless. I would scrap it in favor of a Bosch 5 meter hose. It is significantly less than the Festool (no surprise) but works great on my XL and my Bosch sander and my DeWalt track saw. I think the hose is part of your issue.

I built custom shelves on the lower level of my bench for my track saw and domino and some other tools. That gets it off the top but still within easy reach. Giving it a "home" like this also encourages me not to just leave it sitting out and vulnerable. There is nothing other than the weight of the tools holding my domino and track saw on their shelf but the shelf is close to the floor so if it fell it would be less likely to get damaged. I don't remember them falling. The domino shelf is the lowest.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    Some of us would step on it.
    Probably me
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Linton View Post
    I've had a Domino 500 for a few months now and love it. But when I'm mortising a project and need to set the Domino down, I'm afraid the weight and stiffness of the dust extractor hose is going to pull it off my workbench onto the floor and damage the Domino. One solution is to set the Domino on the floor to ensure it doesn't get dropped but this is inconvenient, so I'm thinking of building a mobile holder/cart that I can set the Domino in when I'm repositioning or re-clamping my project.

I should mention that my dust extractor hose is not Festool; it's a Rockler hose that connects to my Shop Vac. Maybe the Festool hose is lighter and more flexible but I still would worry about it pulling the Domino off the bench and there's also the possibility that a misstep would catch on the hose or power code and pull it off.

Has anyone else encountered this same issue? Any cool approaches to solving this problem?

Tom
    Tom, I added a couple of hooks to the ceiling, over which the hose and power cord can hang. This removes any down pull, as you have described.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    I use this specific Bosch hose: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One end fits perfectly to dust deputy and the other end fits all my Festool and Bosch tools etc. I have the Domino XL so its mass helps prevent it from being tugged off the table, but I also clamp a scrap "edge" to the workbench to give the tool some additional advantage - fast and effective.

As Derek has mentioned, ceiling mounts can help in a bunch of situations too. I keep some bungie cords nearby that are also handy in combination with the hooks.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Check out the domino dock:

https://ramonvaldezfinefurniture.com...-domino-df500/

He sells the dock or you can get the plans and make one yourself. I did the latter for my XL.

Bob

I use my XL on my MFT inspired Paulk style bench which has a couple of do-dads on 20mm dowels on 96mm centres to hold in place various tools and act as planing stops. Hell, even B&D work mate dogs will work. Perhaps something similar might work for you, or anything with a notch cut out for the hose to rest in yet prevent the domino from sliding off onto the floor?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hinden View Post
    Check out the domino dock:

https://ramonvaldezfinefurniture.com...-domino-df500/

He sells the dock or you can get the plans and make one yourself. I did the latter for my XL.
    Bob
    Terrible instructions, but I do find the dock useful. Especially when combined with the Seneca Woodworking Dock Plate XL.

BUT, IMHO you would find it incredibly annoying as you would have to disconnect the hose and power cord each time you put the Domino down. That would be a total deal breaker.

With the Festool hose, I've never worried about my Domino 500 falling and hitting the ground. my $0.02
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I have the festool hose but unless the domino is sitting in the middle of my bench, I just remove the hose. Why take chances...