Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Thought It Was The Battery

I Thought It Was The Battery

Went out last week to monthly test on generator. Turn on fuel, set choke, and press start button. NOTHING! At first I thought it might be starter motor, as it didn't do anything. When brushes reach the end of their life, this is what happens. Took jump box and connected directly to starter motor. Starter ran fine, so my thought was that the battery was shot. Connected jump box to battery terminals, and again nothing. Sometimes a totally dead battery will absorb all the charge out of a jump box or another battery. Disconnected leads from battery, and connect jump box to them. Still nothing. Reconnect battery leads. Connect positive lead of jump box to solenoid, and negative to frame of generator. Press start button, and she fires right up. This narrows problem down to a bad connection in either positive, or negative lead from battery. Next I connected positive lead of jump box to positive battery terminal, and negative lead to frame of generator, press start button. She fires up, so I have narrowed down problem to be in connections on negative lead. Checking negative lead where it connects to generator is a real bear, as it's on the back side, away from doors on generator shed. Finally remove negative lead from frame of generator ,and connect it directly to generator head. Problem solved. Did I mention that battery was made in 05/08, meaning it's over 14 years old. That's why I thought the battery could be the problem, but it wasn't the battery.

Isn't nice to win one once in awhile!!!

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Good logical job of trouble shooting.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    … Finally remove negative lead from frame of generator ,and connect it directly to generator head. Problem solved. ...
    What a great feeling when you get it going!

I read long ago that many electrical problems, such as in trailer and vehicle wiring (and sometimes building and even electronics wiring) are due to bad grounds. My most recent experience was a pressure washer engine that refused to start. Especially for things that live outside I started some years ago applying dielectric grease to all electrical connections, grounds or not, after cleaning the contact surfaces. I think this has helped.

JKJ

Sounds like a good process. Grounding is always the first thing I check, especially with trailer wiring. I use di-electric grease for a lot of things, and conductive grease for others.

The only trouble with conductive grease is that it has carbon in it, and is Very easy to get black smudges all over everything. The last thing I fixed with it was an old garage door opener that was having trouble with the sorry friction connections to the electric eyes. It's still working two years after the conductive grease fix.

Di-electric is non-conductive, but protects the parts where they touch. If there is not much contact area, like the little connections in the garage door opener head, conductive grease helps.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 12-07-2022 at 1:39 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    Good logical job of trouble shooting.
    Agree, a good step through process to eliminate potential problems one at a time.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Sounds like a good process. Grounding is always the first thing I check, especially with trailer wiring.

Di-electric is non-conductive, but protects the parts where they touch. If there is not much contact area, like the little connections in the garage door opener head, conductive grease helps.
    Tom,
    I have had several boat trailers. Trailers in salt water are especially difficult. Beefing up the grounding system and routine cleaning of all connections saves lots of hassles.

Bruce, good job on the diagnosis and glad it was a relatively inexpensive fix!

Having been in the problem solving business most of my life, I trouble shoot first and then correct the problem. There is a term to describe guys who just start replacing parts till the problem is solved. They are called "Parts Slingers." If they put enough new parts on something, it's bound to get fixed. Even worse is they replace the same part multiple times. Our son once worked in a shop that was full of "parts slingers. " Same goes for a local heavy equipment dealer. Son spent two days correcting "parts slingers" attempt to fix a loader. Told them to put all the old parts back on, then using old parts, he fixed the problem. It was a matter of setting correct adjustments (joy stick.) If everything else fails, read the manual! Still amazed that a fourteen and a half years old battery still does the job. I keep a "Battery Tender connected to battery all the time, as motor on generator doesn't contain a charging magneto. This battery started life in a riding mower, then sat for about six years before being charged and installed on generator.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 12-08-2022 at 8:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    You are going to trust your next power outage to a 14 YO battery?
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    There is a term to describe guys who just start replacing parts till the problem is solved. They are called "Parts Slingers." If they put enough new parts on something, it's bound to get fixed.
    In my trade we called them "shot gunners." Same approach of replacing parts until it started to work. They would often replace parts having nothing to do with the problem.

Then there were the "LIFTNG" (Leave It For The Next Guy) artist. They would tell the client they needed a part and it was on order and then the next guy would come and hopefully fix it.

Many people pay a lot for an education. Often the one thing they forget to pay is attention.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I thought "LIFTING" was for retired homeowners! LOL

went through this with the ride on mower, new battery and still same. At one point put a multimeter on the starter motor and saw 6, 5, 4 volts. Too low and it kept changing? Held the Key to on to see if it would stabilize and saw a puff of smoke. Argh. Burned the casing off a green wire, realized my fault holding the key on for more than a split second. Ended up taking as many connections apart as i could and wire brush and sandpaper into some. Die electric grease then together. It started better than when I was given the machine and has continued the same.

I got hoodwinked on a 96 buick roadmaster and this mower adventure was a good lesson for me showing me im going to have to find and do the same to as many connections as possible on the car before trying to sort it out. Need to get a Tech 2 scanner as well.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 12-08-2022 at 2:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    At one point put a multimeter on the starter motor and saw 6, 5, 4 volts. Too low and it kept changing?
    Amazing what a simple multimeter can tell a person who knows how to use it.

It is amazing people with an engineering degree can't do simple math to see how their design might cause a problem. On my last job there was a situation where certain relays wouldn't energize on hotter days. This had been an ongoing problem. A supervisor assigned me to figure it out. A quick look and using a meter at a few junction boxes made it clear.

One things that many designers seem to forget is copper wire has resistance. The next thing they forget is when it is hot it has more resistance.

The switch to actuate the relays ran over 1400 feet and the voltage drop was great enough to cause too low of a voltage to pick (actuate) the bank of relays. This took place shortly before my retirement. The supervisor retired shortly after me. I have no idea if the problem was ever remedied or if others were informed or if they are still chasing their tails around on the problem. Bureaucracy seems to cause more problems than it solves.

jtk

yeah, really it led me to solving the problem. I dont have much experience with that stuff but constantly getting more. Used it on my batteries for years, last time truck had an issue volts were good and truck would not start, that never happens, then learned there are volts and amps and my amps were not happy. Im sure this is kindergarten stuff for those who work in it. On the buick I did talk to one guy who worked for a racing team and also knows those older LT-1 motors, he was kind with lots of time. I was surprised his way was changing out parts. He was the first person ive heard doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    You are going to trust your next power outage to a 14 YO battery?
    Why not? New batteries also fail. I have a very good jump box if it doesn't crank. Owned two Sears Die Hard batteries in my lifetime. Both lived up to their name- DIED HARD, leaving me stranded except for the kindness of strangers. Our 1994 Ford Areostar, built in Dec 93, is on it's fourth battery now. First battery was replaced at nine years, because wife left lights on and went shopping.