Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Admin Announcement - Please Read

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    thank you ken! some times it takes me a while to check my attitude tod
    Check "YOUR" attitude???? Whew...I sure am glad this is a family oriented forum!!! Often, I'm afraid to say, my own attitude needs to be in check on a regular basis! However, I must say that, the civil nature of this forum certainly has helped me come to terms with a certain number of my own attitudes! Like Ken said, glad you decided to hang in there! Hey, even I've had posts/threads yanked over the years!!!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Hey, even I've had posts/threads yanked over the years!!!
    No!...say it ain't so.... they must have been Packer related outbursts of rage that got you deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash
    No!...say it ain't so.... they must have been Packer related outbursts of rage that got you deleted.
    Hmmmm...I believe you might be right!!! They best start winning this year or I'll be gettin' my fanny clean kicked off the forum!!!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

4. Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    Hey Tod, I'll add my appreciation of your insights, and knowledge here at SMC.

When I see a post made by you on a subject I'm interested in, I look forward to reading what you have to say, and, invariably, I'm not disappointed.

I'm glad you decided to give us all another chance

Cheers!
    Last edited by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan; 03-08-2006 at 9:42 AM.

I'm not sure that if any of you know this or not, but Tod is the man. I have learned more from him, in the relatively short time that he has been on the creek, than anywhere else.

I make a point to read every single one of his posts, because I always find at least a little speck of knowledge that I didnt have before even when he is not talking about woodworking specificly. He may have an unorthadox way of saying things and may not always be nice, but he is indeed a great man.

Tod has not only taught me a lot, but his knowledge has helped me save a lot of money, and will allow me to start my woodworking business in a matter of 2 or 3 months as opposed to starting sometime next year.

There is no man (besides my father of course), who I respect more or whos knowledge I value more. He is a great man, a great teacher and dare I say a great friend.

Tod, I hope I am not out of place, by writing this post. I know that you are not a man who wants attention, and I appologize for bringing it to you. I just felt that this needed to be said.

Allen,

I doubt that anyone would disagree with your evaluation of Tod, his experience and knowledge are certainly valuable and he has been very generous sharing with everyone here at SMC. You could have selected any number of other Members to praise as well, there is no shortage of extremely talented people here at the Creek.

To All,

Part of my original message was concerned with public statements that were not factual and that our Members need to be carefull when making derogatory comments. For the record there is a legal investigation on-going right now that is based on a public statement made here. The message was removed from public view, I wish I had seen it earlier as the situation may have been avoided even though I would have surely received some heat for removing someones post.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    Well....as I used to always say:

yea....I've gotta bad attitude.....and it's all MINE!!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Well....as I used to always say:

yea....I've gotta bad attitude.....and it's all MINE!!!!!

Bad attitude?? You

I haven't seen it yet buddy.

Hi keith
    I am sort of a radical but I would like to have a watered down approch to this matter.
    1. As I see it this is a place for WOODWORKERS to gather and talk, swap ideas and generally help each other with problems and congratulate one that have things they like to show off.
    2. It is these people that send in their money and help to keep SMC up and running along with the help of you kind people for doing the work.
    My question is this. Since vendors are allowed into the Creek and their machines are being used by these members why is is so horrie if someone talkes about a machine that they do not like and tell someone of their bad experiances or their good experances. I personally have never used a certian type of spray gun bu came here to get info. because I knew that someone would tell me the truth about it and I wouldn't have to wade through a bunch of SALESMAN mud.
    Its Hard enough to get qualit things these days without haveing a salesman putting his .02 in to try to convence you their product is BETTER than box #2.
    I hope the Creek doesn't allow the company reps to start makeing policy for a place for WOODWORKERS to hang out and enjoy each other experances and good company
    Reg Mitchell
    "just an old hillbilly that won't use PRC tool anymore"

There is no problem with regular dialog, even with a vendor lends a hand with information or a member expresses remorse or disappointment with a purchase. Reg, you'll have to trust that the situation that Keith mentioned isn't about ordinary and expected dialog. We are not going to discuss specifics, however.

Jim is right Reg, you have the right to express your opinions about how you feel concerning any tool or topic. Things start going south when someone makes a blanket statement about a company or product like "Company XYZ makes nothing but junk". These kinds of statements are a bit dangerous.

You have the right to speak the truth, second hand information that is not truthfull can be very risky so keep your comments geared toward what you know to be the truth. Honestly statements like "its a piece of junk" don't provide any usefull information anyway. Better to say that the fence won't stay adjusted or the machine has a bad vibration, these kinds of statements mean more to those reading your comments and provide meaningfull detail.

These kinds of problems have nothing to do with vendors joining us at SMC, they watch all of the woodworking forums whether they participate or not. In their defense most companies are concerned about their reputation and some times they are blamed for problems that are beyond their control.

IMHO, it's a sad day when simple people can't gather and speak their minds in a public forum, even if it is a "blanket statement" that they make. We're adults, we can decide for ourselves when someone is making an outrageous statement. I for one, don't need some attorney, jury or judge making that determination for me. And, again IMHO, any vendor who would retain council over some goofy comment made on this (or any other) forum just isn't worth my time and money. Like I said, just MHO...
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simmeth
    IMHO, it's a sad day when simple people can't gather and speak their minds in a public forum, even if it is a "blanket statement" that they make. We're adults, we can decide for ourselves when someone is making an outrageous statement. I for one, don't need some attorney, jury or judge making that determination for me. And, again IMHO, any vendor who would retain council over some goofy comment made on this (or any other) forum just isn't worth my time and money. Like I said, just MHO...
    What Bill said is correct. Lets not forget that one of my favorate companies no longer exits... OLIVER. Yet the spirit of Oliver lives in a true cult following. We all know how difficult and expensive it is to find parts. I myself have gone on the record and posted numerous complaints about some olivers. For example I dont think much of the 285 shaper. Its O.K. but there are many others that are superior. Yet the gohst of Oliver himself is not retaining counsoul or as they say these days, Lawyering Up. The overwhelming concensous of my private poll is that woodworkers will shun any company that resorts to heavy handed legal measures to punish a person for stating something that maybe he should not have. And woodworkers are gat-flys.... they love the skuttle butt around the water cooler. This kind of activity will spread faster amoung the sawdust crowd than on CNN and FOX combined! It will even be the butt of poor jokes at the next cafferteria gathering of The Woodworking Shows. But most importantly, it will drive sales away in an already tuff market segment. The best solution is to force the culprit to make a public apology and then drop the issue. There are better ways to achieve a cult status than with Lawyers....
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Reg, you'll have to trust that the situation that Keith mentioned isn't about ordinary and expected dialog. We are not going to discuss specifics, however.
    well i for one would sure like to know exactly what is going on! if threats have been made who has made them? if suit has been filed in what court? this would be public record...
    personally i enjoy the banter on this forum and even though lots of us don`t see eye to eye on all matters by and large we`re adults who can agree to dissagree. now if someone or some entity is threatening the forum shouldn`t all of us be aware of who and why? please don`t hide behind closed doors, most if not all of us can "take it on the chin" so please bring whatever problems there are into public light so each of us may know the facts and form our own opinions.
    .02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

15. Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    well i for one would sure like to know exactly what is going on! if threats have been made who has made them? if suit has been filed in what court? this would be public record...
    personally i enjoy the banter on this forum and even though lots of us don`t see eye to eye on all matters by and large we`re adults who can agree to dissagree. now if someone or some entity is threatening the forum shouldn`t all of us be aware of who and why? please don`t hide behind closed doors, most if not all of us can "take it on the chin" so please bring whatever problems there are into public light so each of us may know the facts and form our own opinions.
    .02 tod
    Ditto what Tod said.........