Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on adapting a better overarm (Uniguard) blade dust collector

Thoughts on adapting a better overarm (Uniguard) blade dust collector

I have been using this Delta Uniguard blade guard that I adapted to accommodate a dust hose for about 15 years. After cutting the hole, I experimented with several different adhesives to hold the black collar onto the lexan/lucite top only to have it last for a year at the most before letting go. I think I have re-glued it 10 times.

It occurred to me that someone else might have tried to adapt a Uniguard overarm blade guard to allow for dust collection at the blade. Perhaps a technique that doesn’t require serial gluing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would use a flange and small brass screws to hold it on. Brass in case one falls into the blade.
    Bill D

Perhaps a bolt-on magport (with the mating magport on the hose)?

https://magport.net/products/4-magport-bolt-on

https://magport.net/products/magport-4

I've not used it yet but I think I would try one of the new UV cured glues, like the cements being used in dental work. You could even build up a flange with that stuff, although it would take a while.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I built a whole replacement head for the one I owned a couple decades ago out of .25" thick Lexan. Unfortunately, I don't have any surviving photos.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will combine the suggested approaches by building a blade cover out of lexan and use flanges and brass screws.

As for the Magport, I could see myself running up some notable purchases on that site. I have five 6x4” dust collection drops that require me to finesse the hoses on each time I swap out from one drop to another. Magports at each gate makes a ton of sense.

Off to Tap Plastics this weekend.
    Last edited by Bob Borzelleri; 12-09-2022 at 7:48 PM.

The one downside to the UniGuard is that it (natively) cannot be swung out of the way for certain, albeit rare, cuts that require "tall". Otherwise, the retrofit isn't all that difficult to support dust collection.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

When I had a Uniguard on my Unisaw years ago, I switched to Sharkguard for dust collection reasons and the dust hose came down from the ceiling mounted dust collection main header. Sold the Uniguard.
    Last edited by Frank Martin; 12-09-2022 at 9:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Martin View Post
    When I had a Uniguard on my Unisaw years ago, I switched to Sharkguard for dust collection reasons and the the dust hose came down from the ceiling mounted dust collection main header. Sold the Uniguard.
    Yep, I have given some thought to that option. Think I’ll sleep on it.

Didn’t even need to sleep on it. Looks like the Sharkguard Delta ARK will fit my 34-445X saw. Just sent an inquiry to clear up a few questions.

If it is a good fit, I will yank the Uniguard and mount the Sharkguard using a 2.5” hose dropped from the 6” tube attached to the ceiling.

My recent research reminded me that I have not used the splitter out of convenience for several years. Time to bring the odds back in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borzelleri View Post
    Didn’t even need to sleep on it. Looks like the Sharkguard Delta ARK will fit my 34-445X saw. Just sent an inquiry to clear up a few questions.

If it is a good fit, I will yank the Uniguard and mount the Sharkguard using a 2.5” hose dropped from the 6” tube attached to the ceiling.

My recent research reminded me that I have not used the splitter out of convenience for several years. Time to bring the odds back in my favor.
    If you're willing to drop the money, definitely the best option. I switched out the stock knife/guard on my SawStop for a SharkGuard and wouldn't go back.

And honestly if you were going to have to buy all new material to fabricate something, I'd argue the time/hassle savings is worth the extra cost for a finished product.

I had the version with the 4” dust port as it supports far more air flow compared to 2.5”. If you want to lower the air flow you can use one of those aluminum blast gates. When the hose is suspended from the ceiling this setup worked well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borzelleri View Post

Last edited by Frank Martin; 12-10-2022 at 5:12 PM.

Just sent an inquiry to clear up a few questions.
    Good luck. I'm on 3+ weeks, waiting for a response. = NO SALE

jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Roltgen View Post
    Good luck. I'm on 3+ weeks, waiting for a response. = NO SALE

jeff
    That is the exact opposite of my interactions with Shark Guard. I had emailed them, and after a few days received a call from them. They had emailed me back, but the response went into my spam folder….so they called me to make sure my questions had been answered. Maybe try giving them a call, they were very helpful when I spoke to them on the phone.

Interesting. I sent an i inquiry last night and had an email response this morning (Saturday).