Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No T slot? What options are there?

No T slot? What options are there?

I am just beginning to research this and looking for ideas/options: My bandsaw does not have a T slot, but I want to use a miter and feather boards that do require a T slot.

The most likely scenario is to come up with something that will hold the accessories down without needing the T slot. Probably doable (some featherboards have the piece expand as a screw is tighted into it - might be 'ok'

And replacing the table seems like a project in itself to find one compatible perfectly

I might be able to make an 'insert' - then put the slot in the insert - which means different sizes and quite a bit smaller functional location

For the featherboard, I might mount them on a piece of plywood and just clamp that in place instead of using the T slot

Other ideas?

Magswitches were tailor-made for this application.

Magnets my boy.........magnets.

Or make an aux table that sits on top of and attaches to the machine table and includes t-track where you want it.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Not all expanding slot feather-boards are created equal.
    I use BOW products
    https://bow-products.com/
    They lock tight and don't move in my experience.

If your table is cast iron, I agree that a jig utilizing Magswitch magnets make sense. If not cast iron, then an aux table with a T slot seems next best.

I have a miter slot and I usually use Magswitch jigs 90% of the time. Highly recommended.

Magnetics are the way to go, IMHO. And they are much more flexible for positioning than stuff tagged to a miter/tee-slot.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nothing against magnets, but for those who've never used them before, there are many different types with different levels of holding power.

In re-reading your post, it sounds like your saw has a miter slot, just not a T-slot. I use these Rockler featherboards on my table saw, band saw, and router table.

Does your table have a miter slot, but no Tee slot? Using a piece of 3/4 ply, make an overlay top. Route a slot for a miter track, leaving the track slightly proud. Add two pieces of steel to the top, one on each side of the miter slot. Fasten steel in place using either CA glue, or contact cement. Now you have the best of both worlds. Top can be fastened using corner blocks, or holes drilled thru existing top and screws from below, which would be my preferred method of attachment.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 12-14-2022 at 3:09 PM.

Usually you can remove the little t-slot piece so it can be used in a straight walled miter slot.

T-slots we’re a safety marketing thing, no real reason for them. I’ve never had a miter gauge spontaneous jump up at me without a t-slot.

I think the use case is more for featherboards that need to stay in place, not miter gages that are supposed to slide. For that, you either need T-track or magnets.

To the OP: you can buy individual Magswitch modules to be used for making your own jigs: https://www.amazon.com/Magswitch-MAG.../dp/B003FWERRC

For a featherboard, you could just make a magnetic replacement base that has a T-track in it that just sits on the right side of the blade. Your featherboard would be a little higher up than normal, but that's probably OK for most uses if I had to guess. For the miter gage, you might need to make a false table that covers the whole bandsaw so you don't have any height offsets.

I'm actually in the same boat as you, with the unfortunate issue that my router table is aluminum and won't work with magnets

I played with a magnetic hold down once before - its a good idea! Like Bert, my router table top is not magnetic (but it does have the T slot)

Since the bandsaw slot is cast iron, I put a set of those expansion runners on order (<$6) - it would be just like me to overthink this. But that doesnt mean a magnetic switch isnt a better idea...

Magswitch products are great. I've never needed one bigger than the little guys they put into their hold-downs and featherboards, but they come in all sizes and shapes. Not cheap, but an elegant product.