Thread: HF Dust collector mounting orientation

HF Dust collector mounting orientation

Hi all

I have a HF collector which I would like to mount to a wall, the exhaust of which will go into a Wynn mounted next to it. Since my collector pipe is ceiling mounted, I would like to mount the blower unit with the intake facing upwards so I have a better run to / from it. This means that the motor assembly will be hanging straight down. The usual orientation is horizontal.

I have seen many people do this on other threads, etc., but it always has been with the motor assembly facing up and the intake facing down. Not sure if there is some reason or consideration I am not thinking about - re : bearing, gravity, stress on something or another, etc?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Russ

I know longer have it, but my HF was mounted with the intake facing sidewise. I had read somewhere that an elbow near the intake would hurt performance so I traveled along the ceiling several feet before turning into my ceiling mounted main trunk. The HF collector never seemed to have a problem in the year I ran the configuration

Worried about that when I hung a 3HP Grizzly on my wall, inverse of what you're describing. This one simply sits atop an aftermarket cyclone, so made perfect sense to do so.
    If your concern is excessive wear on bearings, etc, this grizzly's been set up in 2 different locations this way for close to 8 years running, and it still works just fine. Was a moderately used piece of gear for years before I got it.
    The fact that you're inverting does not seem like you should expect any different results. Just listen for any odd rubbing sounds for clues the first few times running, but otherwise, IMHO, it's probably fine, but YMMV.

jeff

Motor down will allow any dust to pack under the fan wheel as it coasts down. Is this a problem? I doubt it. Could be a problem if it sucks in a block of wood. It will not self clear when shut down.
    Bill D