Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lathe placement, how far from wall?

I do. Well, I work with a shower curtain about 2 feet behind me and on the sides. Chip containment is wonderful.

I have mine at about 45 deg to the wall because it fits nicely between the table saw and an outside door. I also get a view out a window while turning.

Jim

I have my big Oneway set 5 feet from. the wall. I have the tailstock pointing at the end wall of my shop. I have toolholders on the wall behind me. I also have a track mounted on the ceiling with an electric hoist for lifting heavy blanks. This works well for me, as I can make a half turn to replace a tool or get a different one. My sharpening station is only a couple of steps from my lathe. I can put a 17" bed extension on the lathe and still walk around it.
    Joe

Mine sits at the front of my shop - about 4' from the 12' expanse of bifold doors, 4' on either end to anything and about 8' to my back when turning. I like space all the way around to be able to place a mobile grinding stand/cabinet that also holds my vacuum pump at the headstock end; Space to position the stand for dust collection on the backside; and I spend a lot of time turning from the tailstock/tilt away end (sliding headstock). In good weather the bifold doors are open for a view of the forest and creek. All the space helps with cleaning up shavings. It's a full-size lathe, Rubust AB

The shop was designed to have the lathe up front - its not large, just 500 feet downstairs but works for me.
    Last edited by Jeffrey J Smith; 12-19-2022 at 8:49 PM.