Thread: Crouch edge sander rebuild question

Crouch edge sander rebuild question

So I finally have my Crouch edge sander painted and reassembled and ready to go. Only thing is that I am not sure if I should cover the platen with graphite? My old edge sander had graphite on the platen but my Crouch is just bar metal. It might have had Graphite at one time though. What do you guys think?

Check with Crough themselves for what it came with, they can supply you with a local representatives contact info where you can order what you need.

Graphite covered canvas will allow the belt to run cooler. Look in McMaster Carr.

They always had graphite on them. I use it both ways. When no graphite I wax the metal platen. Minimal glue joint on the belt is important.

I would go with a graphite backing material. Your belts will last longer.
    I got mine from Klingspor Woodworking Shop store to replace the backer on a hand-held belt sander.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    They always had graphite on them. I use it both ways. When no graphite I wax the metal platen. Minimal glue joint on the belt is important.
    And you have to make sure the lap-joint bottom piece is the “caboose “….or the joint will “break loose”. This might be the first time that’s
    been in print . I know it wasn’t in the directions I read.

Mel ive never had one come apart, they might be reduced where the joint is made. Ill take a look. The only belts that come apart on me are those rinky dink 3 x 21 ones for the belt sander.

Graphite is fine for most work but if you need really accurate results then at times its not. Graphite also compresses and weakens and dents as you are using depending on what you are doing. Belts last longer if you use it, then if you are grown up you likely have one that oscillates belts last longer. I still plan on growing up.

Do you have a thread on the rebuild? I have a 66-48 crouch that needs a bit of work too.
    The Plane Anarchist