Thread: Cabinet Trim

Cabinet Trim

This is only 3 years old and I'm unhappy with it.

Kitchen Trim.jpg

A little caulk and paint will fix the upper trim but the 1/4 round is getting beat up and the pin nails are not holding. I could change it all out for a larger size but a more durable material would be better.

I think the root of the problem is that the trim is pretty much completely exposed on the right side. You might consider replacing the quarter round with a rectangular piece and joining them with a rabbet or other type of "square" joint for better durability at the corner.

I agree with John..."location, location, location". That trim is very exposed at the corner and is a prime target for getting knocked around by feet and other things. Stronger fasteners and glue could help, but the latter would require bare wood for best glue results prior to painting. I suspect that no matter what material you use, it's going to get abused, so assembling it in the strongest way possible is what I'd do to mitigate as best as possible.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Is it quarter round, or shoe molding. There is a difference, with my preference being shoe molding. Generally you can find shoe molding in oak. Don't forget to glue the ends of the 45's.

I'm thinking of replacing it with a custom profile, maybe 5/8" x 1 1/4" high with a rounded top. That should let me make a better corner joint and allow better nailing to the baseboard.

The paint will still be vulnerable so I'm thinking white PVC. Then again, hardwood would be tougher.

Another concern is water getting under it and the cabinets. The vinyl flooring goes all the way to the walls. Setting the molding into a bead of caulk should help. Good idea?

Sounds good. You might round the end of the front piece instead of a miter. Caulking will help hold it in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    I'm thinking of replacing it with a custom profile, maybe 5/8" x 1 1/4" high with a rounded top. That should let me make a better corner joint and allow better nailing to the baseboard.

The paint will still be vulnerable so I'm thinking white PVC. Then again, hardwood would be tougher.

Another concern is water getting under it and the cabinets. The vinyl flooring goes all the way to the walls. Setting the molding into a bead of caulk should help. Good idea?
    I've often seen pros run a bead of clear caulk where the trim meets the floor. Setting it in a bead of caulk should accomplish the same thing.

John