Thread: How To Attach This Top

How To Attach This Top

I’m building the wife a corner cabinet for her coffee station and looking for some advice on how to attach the top.

Here is the base cabinet:

IMG_9088.jpg

Here is the roughed out top sitting on the base:

IMG_9089.jpg

So my thought is to rout a couple narrow slots through the diagonal top braces, and attach with screws and fender washers to allow across the grain movement. The slots would be perpendicular to the grain.

Here is the corner where it will live, below the shelves (hickory I believe) I had previously made:

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Hollis; 09-24-2023 at 1:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    You can either use slots as you described or figure 8 fasteners. Finishing both sides of the top will limit the amount of seasonal width variation. I made a similar cabinet for our house using Red Oak and I used Kreg screws in slots through the top frame.
    IMG_3974.jpg
    This cabinet has been in use since 2009 with no issues.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 09-24-2023 at 6:01 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    You can either use slots as you described or figure 8 fasteners. Finishing both sides of the top will limit the amount of seasonal width variation. I made a similar cabinet for our house using Red Oak and I used Kreg screws in slots through the top frame.
    Attachment 508057
    This cabinet has been in use since 2009 with no issues.
    Thanks for the input Lee. The shelves are, and the top will be finished with Walrus Oil. I will make sure and put equal coats on both the top and bottom.

Clicking on your attachment gives me an error?

Saw your signature, Surface or Subs? I spent 20 years pushing 4 of our countries subs through the world’s waters.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollis View Post
    Clicking on your attachment gives me an error?

Saw your signature, Surface or Subs? I spent 20 years pushing 4 of our countries subs through the world’s waters.
    Fixed the photo.

I was surface line on two different ships, but worked with the Helicopter minesweepers for three years and then various Naval Reserve units as a commanding officer. A total of 26 years of service.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute