Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stuart Batty

Stuart Batty

In a recent YouTube video Stuart Batty stated he would be releasing some new video content

Can anyone please advise if there is an update or any new information

Here's a good resource
    https://vimeo.com/woodturning

He's going to take another shot at that? He invested a lot of money in video equipment, what 10 years ago? They got investors to develop his tool line, and then went belly up. That's what I understand, maybe I'm off base again.

Is that really what happened? I remember him talking about the crazy amount of cameras in the 'new' studio. I just recently picked up one of his angle gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Is that really what happened? I remember him talking about the crazy amount of cameras in the 'new' studio. I just recently picked up one of his angle gauges.
    Happened 8 years ago. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....rt-batty-tools

Thanks for the info, Richard. That really is too bad, I very much admire his work - I also like to see folks succeed.

He will be one of the demonstrators at the upcoming Oregon Woodturning Symposium. His business did go under a while back.

robo hippy

Stuart is a talented turner and a very competent demonstrator and from my limited exposure a very likable fellow. I don’t own any of his tools, so I can’t speak to that, but they seem to have been well received. Unfortunately, the reality is that the turning community is a relatively small part of the “crafts” and “crafts” are a small part of the overall buying market. IMO, Stuart didn’t wade slowly in to the tool market and demo circuit. He jumped in with a gusto. There are a very limited number of production turners that “use up” a tool quickly. Most of us use a gouge for several months or even years once we get past the learning stage of sharpening. I haven’t bought a new bowl gouge in 4-5 years. The three I have still have a lot of life. Granted, I may not be representative of turners as a whole, but my point is that Stuart’s grand entry probably meant that he was experiencing negative cash flow for a long time. It is hard to recover from that. The successful folks were probably more cautious about debt and excess inventory.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Granted, I may not be representative of turners as a whole, but my point is that Stuart’s grand entry probably meant that he was experiencing negative cash flow for a long time. It is hard to recover from that. The successful folks were probably more cautious about debt and excess inventory.
    I would speculate he ran out of investor money, and maybe both. His tool design was such that I felt I needed to see them in person before I spent that big money on a non-traditional tool. I see his protégé continues the high end tools. Ashley sells as a double ended negative rake scraper and handle package for $430!

Richard, Ashley presents a better marketing image than does Stuart!

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Richard, Ashley presents a better marketing image than does Stuart!
    I'm not touching that comment! LOL Could easily get a slap on the hand for that one.

thread drift but I’ve read Stuart has a December San Diego class but I don’t know how to register. He doesn’t respond to messaging on Facebook or Instagram. Anybody know?

I looked but can't find anything past 2022. If he's still doing classes, I'd be interested in the schedule as well. Please post if you find.

Quote Originally Posted by alan weinberg View Post
    thread drift but I’ve read Stuart has a December San Diego class but I don’t know how to register. He doesn’t respond to messaging on Facebook or Instagram. Anybody know?

look at stuartbattywoodturning on Instagram and it says TBD December San Diego and Finger Lakes. But hasn’t been updated . . .

I appreciate anyone with skill and technique willing to go public with their skill to teach others. Folks get so touchy and offended by everything anymore. Sponsors want their products mentioned, partners want their product and tools mentioned. It has got to be hard. There's one turner who has a mention of his American Beauty lathe at the end of every video. If I ever produce a video, I'll mention my 1938 Dunlap lathe and my old carbon steel Buck Bros chisels. Maybe even the Bullet, the dog on the treadmill that powers the lathe.