Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stuart Batty

We hosted Stuart at Finger Lakes Woodturners (Rochester, NY) last spring -- our program brings in two National demonstrates live each year. He demonstrated for our club, held an all-day demonstration on Saturday, and three two-day hands on classes. Everything sold out in a couple of days, so tickets were not offered to the general public.

Quote Originally Posted by alan weinberg View Post
    thread drift but I’ve read Stuart has a December San Diego class but I don’t know how to register. He doesn’t respond to messaging on Facebook or Instagram. Anybody know?
    If Stuart is doing a class in San Diego, I would think that it would be done in conjunction with the San Diego Wood Turner's club. I checked the calendar for the club (www.sdwt.org) and the December meeting is actually the annual pot luck Holiday Party. Perhaps you may want to contact the club and ask if they have any insight ?

I did that a week ago and the president hasn’t answered my email. Thanks.

Alan Weinberg, I posted your question on the SDWT facebook page. When I get a response, I'll post it here.

I posted your question on the SDWT.org site and got the following response:

[COLOR=var(--primary-text)]Sally Ault[/COLOR][COLOR=var(--primary-text)]We do not have Stuart scheduled either this year or next. He was here last year.

[/COLOR]

Sally is a board member (and a great turner and great person) and she is currently in charge of setting up future presenters/meetings.

Thanks. Craft Supplies USA has a Batty class in Provo, UT Feb 5-9. I just registered. Expensive at $1495 plus air, lodging, meals.

The new Stuat batty website launches on 20th July

Please see link below

https://woodturning.org

what’s the URL for his site?

You know, if he was only 10% the businessman that he is a turner, he'd be far beyond wealthy. There's no mention of anything anywhere on the internet (that I can find), the link above doesn't work any longer, Facebook hasn't been updated in years and less than 200 followers. Really too bad (for us I suppose, I'm assuming he's content). I'll post up if I find anything.

We’re (Gulf Coast Woodturners Association) hosting him in Houston for an “all-day” demonstration (9AM - 3 PM) at our monthly meeting on Saturday, 9/16/23. Anyone in the area is more than welcome to attend. You can find our meeting location on our website. He’ll actually be in Houston for the three days prior to that Saturday, teaching a three-day class on what we’re calling “Becoming One With the 40/40 Grind” . The class is full, and has a fairly long waiting (wishing?) list. But if you’re anywhere near Houston on the third Saturday of September, come see us, and him! Maybe one of us will get to talk to him about some of these questions.

Stay safe, both within your shop and outside it.
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Site seems to be up - https://stuartbattytools.com/

I take it all back... glad to see he's up and running. Thanks for the link.

13. Nice to see lift-off.... no mention on there yet of any gouges I could see. I will be watching.

I will echo John's comment above. Seems like Stuart is always starting up, again. Too bad since he really does have some good ideas. I don't agree with a lot of what he says, but he is still interesting.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post

Stuart... really does have some good ideas.
    Like the laminated range he is bringing out. Same principle as laminated Japanese blades. That should allow him to push the Rockwell hardness higher without the risk of breakage. It may also reduce the cost, but that is yet to be seen.

I'm also interested to see his 'plan' to bring out a "15V replaceable tip gouge". If that comes to fruition it should be a winner for him as there is no other 'active' maker of a 15V option. My testing shows that 15V outperforms the other available HSS options with its edge durability on more demanding woods. A replaceable tip is also good concept, IMO.
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...