Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Forum?

New Forum?

Could we start a new forum for showing off your shop? Maybe call the forum "WORKSHOP PICS" ? All in say "I".

michael, just do a search for "shop tour" you`ll find lots.....02 tod

Have to agree with Tod on this one. So many forums.... so little time

This is an old subject that we need to touch on every now and then to remind everyone that SMC will have a shop tours area in the near future. The details are in the works as our Administrator Aaron Koehl is putting together a list of functions and features for the SMC shop tour Module. Aaron will do the necessary custom programing for our shop tours module and key it to the SMC database. This is a big job, Aaron might have something for us to look at somethime in the spring. One of the features will be a database that will automatically track every tool by manufacturer and model number, this will provide the capability of finding a member who owns a particular tool and arranging a shop visit.

Our shop tours module will provide each woodworker the capability of keeping their shop tour up to date. With a login system that uses the SMC member database you will be able to make changes to your shop tour at any time. We have a major list of features but I am already tired of typing so be patient, this will be worth waiting for and unlike any other shop tour offering you have ever seen.

The only question is how we will pay for the bandwidth? I expect it will require it's own server and Internet pipe, otherwise it will drag the Creek down to a crawl.

Wow, that's a lot of work. A big thanks to Aaron.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    ....The only question is how we will pay for the bandwidth? I expect it will require it's own server and Internet pipe, otherwise it will drag the Creek down to a crawl.
    Not a problem, Keith. John Bailey will eventually read this thread.
    Only the Blue Roads

What thread??

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

I am all for the shop tours and am willing to send a donation to help with the bandwidth. Just let us know when to send the donation.
    Jerry
    Jerry in the Sunshine State
    Nam Vet, 67-68
    "If you're going to be stupid you got to be tough"

Thanks Jerry,

Concerning costs we just got a letter from our cable company with good news about our bandwidth. Cox has increased our bandwidth to 5 meg inbound and I believe 1 meg outbound without increasing our fee. Given that we don't share bandwidth with any other server it provides even more for us to grow.

I am concerned about the shop tours though, they will be extremely popular and given the number of pictures we expect to host it could cause us to order another connection to protect the SMC server from slowing down. The monthly fee for each connection is only $109.00 which is very reasonable and our normal donations and fund drive should be able to handle another connection if necessary without a problem.

Our financial situation right now is really good however I intend to pay Aaron for the programing time to create the shop tours module. Because I am asking for so many features and a complex list of functions it is only fair that we compensate Aaron for his efforts. Aaron is a top flight programer, he has worked for me on a number of occasions doing commercial web sites that made our customers more than happy. These were very complex sites with integrated databases and were very innovative. I think everyone will be very pleased when they see what he can do for SMC. Aaron has also created a program for automobile dealers to track and manage after-market sales called Z-Market. This software is just amazing and one of the most beautiful programs I have ever seen so he has the talent to create something for us that will impress everyone. The only problem is time, we must wait until his schedule lightens somewhat, when it does he will create the new software and get it online in record time. I haven't discussed his fee for the new shop tours module with him yet but I'm sure we can negotiate an arrangement that is fair to all.

After we get the shop tours online what's next?

Well... Keith is leaking my feature list! Call the guards!
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Golly Willickers Keith!! With the shop tour online, my feeble brain is having a hard time thinking of anything that could make this site better. It's the best now, even without the shop tour.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

The marketing website for the Evans Woodworking Machinery Company?
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

13. Well that will be just great!

One thing I LOVE about good shop tours is the opportunity to..... "gather" good ideas and see other ways to "skin that cat!"

Of course the test drive option won't be of much use to me....

Still, should be FUN to see.

BTW, if you want to have a Shop tour of my shop......]

English DoPa<-- Click!!

shop pics

With the abundance of free website hosting that various companies have these days why not just have a forum where people could post a link to their website which is about their shop? The creek would save money and the folks who wish to show off their shops would have a place to do so. They really have simplified making a simple personal website, just click, click, upload pics and add a caption and your up and running. There is the small annoyance of the banner ad's on the free versions but that's a small price to pay. Just a thought,

FWIW, The promise of a separate area for Shop Tours at SMC is pre July 2003. Hope it happens someday!
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve