Thread: where to put antifreeze in bandsaw?

where to put antifreeze in bandsaw?

joking....somewhat

Blog Entries
    We recently got the WoodMizer back from a loan to the neighbors. No need to put RV antifreeze in the blade lube tank this winter, they have it full of diesel. It is an old WoodMizer that ejects right on the operator. That had to be nasty.
    Best Regards, Maurice

In the coolant tank, where else? Only if using water based coolant. If using cutting oil no need. The drop in stock heaters will not protect the plumbing and valves. They will freeze first even if the tank is heated. Ounce you add the antifreeze make sure to run the pump to circulate the good stuff through all the plumbing and valves.
    Be careful what type of antifreeze you use green Etehlyne glycol is poisonous in small amounts. I doubt breathing in a mist of it is healthy.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 12-24-2022 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    In the coolant tank, where else? Only if using water based coolant. If using cutting oil no need. The drop in stock heaters will not protect the plumbing and valves. They will freeze first even if the tank is heated. Ounce you add the antifreeze make sure to run the pump to circulate the good stuff through all the plumbing and valves.
    Be careful what type of antifreeze you use green Etehlyne glycol is poisonous in small amounts. I doubt breathing in a mist of it is healthy.
    Bill D
    What the heck kind of bandsaw are you guys using? I just used some scrap kindling and started a small fire, layed a couple pallets up against the saw and figured to go back down and check on it here in bit.....

I was actually humoring myself...looking at my old delta 14inch while it is close to 0 degrees here in the shop. It didnt come to mind that actually adding antifreeze to a "bandsaw" is actually applicable here for some of you guys...stay warm

Go down to local ABC store, and purchase your favorite brand of "sipping whiskey." Take a sip, and think about your poor cold band saw. The alcohol in the sipping whiskey won't do much for your BS, but it will lift your spirits. Forgot to turn up heat in shop last night, and it down to 45 degrees. Back up to 57 degrees now. Merry Christmas!

But can you use it in the rain?

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    But can you use it in the rain?
    Seen pictures of the giant chain bandsaw used to section ships underwater for scrapping? Similar, larger to the cable in quarry rock slabbing saws.
    Bill D

Video in action at the three minutes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvPAoWrG8Oo
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 12-24-2022 at 6:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    Rain or shine above water or under!
    Thats one big band saw. I watched a very similar YouTube a while back. Its long, showing the big saw at 7:10 minutes in

Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 12-24-2022 at 6:54 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Loposser View Post
    I was actually humoring myself...looking at my old delta 14inch while it is close to 0 degrees here in the shop. It didnt come to mind that actually adding antifreeze to a "bandsaw" is actually applicable here for some of you guys...stay warm
    I keep my Delta 14" at a nice 50 deg. I don't want my baby to freeze.

66 degrees for all by babies...old little Atlas bandsaw included.

where to put antifreeze in bandsaw?
    In the operator....
    I suggest something Rye based for this time of year.
    Also, it's best to wait until the bandsaw has come to a complete rest and is put away. (less chance of,,,,spillage...)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    We recently got the WoodMizer back from a loan to the neighbors. No need to put RV antifreeze in the blade lube tank this winter, they have it full of diesel. It is an old WoodMizer that ejects right on the operator. That had to be nasty.
    My WoodMizer has a plastic gravity-fed 5-gal tank for lubricant. I use water. In the winter I take the tank inside or add antifreeze. If I don't, the water in the tank will freeze and ruin the tank.

My horizontal metal-cutting bandsaw has a recirculating coolant tank. The lube I use doesn't need antifreeze.

JKJ