Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our latest deck...

Our latest deck...

We just finished the first deck of the year..hopefully there will be many more in the near future. We're moving towards specializing in decks, pergolas and fences. The cabinet market is littered with competition...I find it's harder and harder to attract the quality minded clientele (my shop isn't the type to do the big projects anyway). So now we are advertising more for this type project.

http://www.hannawoodworks.com/Decks31.html

Nice work Kelly, great looking deck!

Corey

That looks great... but if you do not consider a deck as big project then I would be scared to think what is a big project in your book
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Nice idea on the railings.

Richard

Great looking deck! Nice design.
    Reporting live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

Good looking deck

Kelly.
    Deck looks great. A lot of different ideas from what we see around my neck of the woods.
    Frank

Looks great, Kelly! Hadn't heard from you here in a few weeks. Glad to see that it's because you've been busy. I bet drilling the holes for the pipe rails to line up was fun!! The pipe has a blue-ish cast to it, is it aluminum? Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Kelly,

I was just browsing around at work and wasn't even going to log in.....but I had to tell you that the deck looks outstanding. Good job as always. I understand what you mean about the custom cabinet jobs. Besides, who wants to be stuck in the shop all day when you can be outside enjoying Texas.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Kelly,
    That copper should take on an awesome patina. I may steal that idea
    Have you made any provision to stifffen up the piping? I can just see a some rotten kid going right over and climbing on it .
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Nice deck Kelly. I would also like to know the answer to Tyler's question, since I raided a rotten kid who would do just that, just to see how strong it was.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Looks great Kelly!!

Jim...I have been super busy with prepping the new pool room for the party last weekend, so I haven't been online a whole lot. The pipe is copper.

Brian, I would love to be stuck in my little shop all day.... That said I really do enjoy building the decks.

Tyler, thanks and steal away. I have never stiffened any copper or aluminum balusters that we've installed. I talk to each owner before installing them to make sure they know to tell any visiting young-uns not to climb or mess around with them (none of the clients have any kids that have spec'd these railings). As far as the industry is concerned this is not a problem and none of the approved materials are stiffened...course some nimrod will probably do it and sue the homeowners and the deckbuilder and then we're all gonna haveta rethink the metal rails (and pay more for them).

PS...thanks for everyone's comments, we all appreciate it!

Kelly,

I do like the deck and especially the rails.

Nice job and thanks for showing it to us.

Looks great.......Is there access to all that under deck storage??
    If at 1st you don't succeed, go back to the lumberyard and get some more wood.

Sometimes you have to break stuff to see how tough it really is. Cecil I think I was one of those and look at me I turned out just gr.. well nevermind.

I like the copper and would be interested in hearing ideas on stiffining them up. Maybe a wood dowel insert of some kind. Some copper fittings could be used for design. Not by me of course you really don't want to see my solder sweat job here. (at least they don't leak)

Nice job

Joe