Thread: Walnut end table design

Walnut end table design

Our decorating theme for our home is Mission/Arts & Crafts style. Planning on making a couple new end tables out of walnut for the living area. Casual not formal. I saw some images of end tables with the drawer on the bottom and thought this was a unique look, but then I thought how convenient would it be to use the drawer on the bottom. I would probably make it more rectangular than square, but curious of others thoughts about the bottom drawer idea. Thanks. Brian

end table.PNG
    Brian

The first thought that jumped into my mind was how you might use the space above the drawer. Depending on what you envision there, that space may be somewhat inconvenient to access and use. If you have that table next to a piece of furniture, you would not have access to that space while seated. Of course, you have to get up to access the drawer as well, so maybe the point is mute.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Brian T, those are my thoughts also. I have to get up to use the drawer even on the top so not bigee there, but how practical, having to bend over to see into the drawer etc... being an old guy and getting older every day. Brian
    Brian

Blog Entries
    I made this night stand for our bedroom that has a shelf above and below the drawer.
    IMG_4816.jpg
    It works perecftly for holding my cpap machine and cpap supplies.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Looking at this design. Wonder how wide the legs are, guessing 4"? Think they are out of a 6" piece to allow for a 2" offset in the curve or larger offset? thanks. Brian

https://www.hootjudkins.com/amish-cr...bourbon-finish
    Brian

These are end tables, so items in the drawer are likely not accessed frequently. The shelve about holds magazines and papers, keeping them off the top where a lamp, vase, etc. might set and be decorative and not cluttered. This design works just as well as a drawer below the top, just a preference style and more about how you plan to use the table and drawer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Looking at this design. Wonder how wide the legs are, guessing 4"? Think they are out of a 6" piece to allow for a 2" offset in the curve or larger offset? thanks. Brian

https://www.hootjudkins.com/amish-cr...bourbon-finish
    They say the table is 22" wide. Scaling the leg off the photo, the leg is 2 3/4" wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    They say the table is 22" wide. Scaling the leg off the photo, the leg is 2 3/4" wide.
    Thanks Jamie. Never thought of that. Brian