Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snow in TN

Kind of bereft of snow so far this year, maybe 4" total in southern NH. We just got our electricity back yesterday after going out on Friday during a windstorm with gusts up to 71mph. Fortunately, we invested in a propane powered 14kw generator about 8 years ago, so it was not a problem. When we first moved up here from MA 33 years ago annual snowfall was higher. I even remember a March here where it snowed every 2nd to 3rd day for 3 weeks and we got a total for the month of over 39". Back when we first got here we always had 100-130" per year.

Just a note. Growing up outside of Rochester NY I remember the blizzard of 1957 when the wind and snow combination was so bad we could walk onto our roof from a bare spot of ground on the front lawn. The Air National Guard was air dropping bales of hay to cattle stranded in the fields.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Three inches here for a rare white Christmas. Below zero temps at night, single digits during the day. Today will be 52℉ and tomorrow 62℉.

Ken, thanks for this report. We had a trip to W Yellowstone via Bozeman booked for February, and I couldn't convince my wife that it would be cold and snowy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Saturday, 12/17/22 we drove to Butte, MT. Sunday we drove to West Yellowstone, MT via Bozeman, MT where we met up with 3 grandkids and a DIL. In West Yellowstone, MT it snowed every night to some small or larger amount. We had guided tours of YNP on Tuesday and Wednesday. Tuesday in a snowstorm we took the Old Faithful trip. That evening we got 12" of snow on top of the couple feet that was already on the ground and roads. In all fairness, they do groom the snow to smooth it out for snowmobiles and the snow coaches using equipment similar to the groomers used on ski runs. Wednesday we took the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone tour. The new 12" of snow made it interesting for the driver/guide but we saw all the major sights on that tour. That night the temperature dropped to an official 38º F with a wind chill of -67º F. My 2014 Honda Pilot had the original battery in it and refused to start Thursday morning even though I had warmed the car up the previous evening. The maintenance guys at the lodge we were in, jumped it twice with no success. They called a local auto service place who towed it to their heated garage, removed and tested the old battery, acquired and installed a new battery. The total charge was $254 which I thought was reasonable considering where I was and the conditions. Driving home on Friday the roads were hard packed snow until we got to Missoula. The next morning it was a thick sheet of treacherous ice until we got to the top of Lolo Pass on US-12. God as my witness, at the sign stating "Welcome to the State of Idaho" where the roads became bare and/or wet. It was like someone had drawn the state line on the highway. I was truly amazed! It's winter in the mountains. BTW, I have two sets of chains in my Pilot in the rear storage area and they reside there. And yes, I have test fitted them in good weather on floor of our carport. I take winter driving seriously!

Here's the view outside our hotel room.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 12-28-2022 at 9:52 AM.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I…We've had snow in Erie County PA every month except July.
    We lived south of Pittsburgh out in the sticks on the Monongahela river a couple of miles upstream from lock/dam #3 near Elizabeth. We had relatives in Erie and visited every few years (when it was warm!) I loved the lake.

JKJ

I remember the storm Jim is speaking of in the 2000's. It was the only time in the 10 years that we lived in that home we couldn't get up the 600' uphill driveway with our AWD vehicle. It was a very wet, heavy snow. I have photos somewhere of us shoveling out around people doors etc the next day in our shirt sleeves when it warmed right up.

Stan, if you watch television weather it's not unusual to see Big Piney, WY (just south of Jackson, WY) or Stanley, ID as the coldest places in the nation. There was a SoCal. family on that 2nd tour to the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone who didn't bring snow boots, heavy layers of clothing and made the trip miserable for others sitting around them by their constant complaining. They obviously hadn't researched the area and the tours completely. The wooden walkways in the park are NOT shoveled in the winter but people still use them. Thus, they become uneven, hardpacked and even icy. I am deaf due to Meniere's disease and also have resulting serious balance issues. These were the 3rd time my wife and I have done the winter tours in Yellowstone. I bought us each a pair of walking sticks because of the issues on the wooden walkways. They didn't have appropriate clothing and would sprint on the tours to and from the van. They thought they would see Old Faithful on the tour that day but that wasnt where that tour was scheduled to go. They changed their dinner plans after seeing a Yelp review, so I imagine they probably badmouthed the tour company too on the same platform when in reality it was their lack of completely researching the tours, and possible weather conditions. With my hearing issues I set up front with the driver so I could hear him. My family group of 5 set in the back. My DIL and wife both were irritated by these folks constant complaints! Luckily, I couldn't hear them.

BTW, the driver to the snow coach handled the 2' of fresh snow quite well. Later some snowmobilers on the same tour said their snow mobiles had issues getting up the same roads. Have fun. We have done YNP in February twice. The snow is often much more than we saw at Christmas and the temperature just as severe. We have taken tours of YNP 5 times total, 3 winter tours, 1 spring tour and 1 summer tour. The winter tours are SO much more dramatic and that's when we have seen the most animals (bison, elk, swans, geese, American dippers). The snow on the roads isn't as deep as the rest of the terrain so the animals use the road. Enjoy your trip!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-28-2022 at 2:47 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

We got about an inch of snow in Mountain City, TN. Just enough to scare the chickens. They don't like the snow. The snow should all melted today ( Dec 29).

We did have a 90 foot pine tip over due to high winds coupled by some rot within the stump.

Next year, all pines within 100 feet of the house are going to be cut down and sawn into lumber.

After lots and lots of warnings of a major snow event we ended up with maybe 2 inches last Thursday the 22nd. They did get it right on the temperature forecasts though. I helped get things ready for plowing snow for the township. Everything was fueled, plows mounted and dump beds filled with chips. I didn't even scrape my drive until Monday and it didn't really need it but had a delivery truck coming and I wanted them to be able to tell where the driveway was. We do have a good layer of frost in the ground now. Hit 66 today and no trace of the snow is left unless you go find some piles in parking lots. We don't get as much snow as we used to but we still usually have 2 or 3 decent snow events each winter.

I'm glad everyone got through the strange weather okay.
    I'll warn you, more may be coming.

Out here in CA where we get the weather first. We're now on our second straight day of rain and wind, of a 3-day storm. So, after it clears the Sierras Saturday night into Sunday, give it a few days before the rest of the country feels the effects, in one form or another, though I don't think this one has the cold temps with it.
    Stay safe everyone.

Not much snow but the wind and temps were very difficult. I saw temps down to -10 F with steady winds of 25 and gusts to over 35 mph. The dogs were very unhappy. My son came up from Texas and they were cold and their dog was very cold.