Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a good woodworking class to attend

Might want to check out Gary Rogowski near Portland Oregon: https://northwestwoodworking.com/about/gary-rogowski/

I know he switched to online classes when Covid hit; not sure if he has returned to in person or 1 on 1.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Does Brian Boggs still have classes at his studio? I see no mention of it on his website.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 12-31-2022 at 11:03 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Can vouch. Specifically target beginners, focus on fundamentals: https://austinschooloffurniture.com/
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

While this is not what you're looking for, I believe the best classes are those offered by a community college because you get instruction and you have lots of time to work with the instructors (the lab portion of the class is usually four hours). It's almost like serving an apprenticeship. And you can take multiple classes (over time), each one dedicated to a different skill. So your first class will probably cover safety, stock preparation, and building a simple project. Others may be more complex proejcts, such as chairs, or veneering, carving, etc.

I used to teach some woodworking short courses, such as veneering, dovetails, carving and box making, all done in a day. I supose I helped a few people, but the pace was so fast that I wonder how many of them retained what was taught - or used it afterwards. When a student hit a problem I usually fixed it for them, which is not really a good thing. It would have been better to instruct them on how to fix it and let them do it - but there was just no time.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 12-31-2022 at 1:10 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have gone to a couple of Bob Van Dyke's classes and found them to really help. He is located in Connecticut. Various class levels are available.

https://www.schoolofwoodworking.com/...g-classes.html

Jory Brigham! Central coast CA. In person furniture weekend classes, very nice guy and team, talented maker and artist, internationally known.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

In SoCal, William Ng has some classes including a complicated chair and keepsake box, lasting about a week. I have attended two classes there. He has a full shop, is safety minded, and has all the jigs you need to make whatever. You can purchase the jigs to take home. He has a sense of humor.

In Waco, there is Ploughshare, which emphasizes hand tools, and also features chairs and a blanket chest. Each class is a little over a week. Paul Sellers taught there for nearly a decade. I've also attended two classes there and built a nice craftsman rocker.
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    In SoCal, William Ng has some classes including a complicated chair and keepsake box, lasting about a week. I have attended two classes there. He has a full shop, is safety minded, and has all the jigs you need to make whatever. You can purchase the jigs to take home. He has a sense of humor.

In Waco, there is Ploughshare, which emphasizes hand tools, and also features chairs and a blanket chest. Each class is a little over a week. Paul Sellers taught there for nearly a decade. I've also attended two classes there and built a nice craftsman rocker.
    I was concerned about the # of people William has in his classes. I was told it was up to 10. Seems excessive to me? But I am not sure. I learn very fast and have 20 years of doing woodworking (just not complicated projects like maloof style chairs).

I would dearly love to attend one of William Ng's classes. Having watched several of his videos on Youtube, he shows incredible intelligence and well thought out plans before ever attempting something. If he has up to 10 students in a class, I am sure one would get enough personal exposure to him. He might also have some respected assistants too. I'd call and inquire. He would certainly be at the top of my list of bucket instructors to experience!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I live a short drive from William Ng's place. Even visited him there one time - didn't take a class, just a visit.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.