Thread: Specialty Plywood in N.E.

Specialty Plywood in N.E.

I've been hearing of Appleply, Sandeply, prefinished ply, HW veneered melamine, and probably a few others, I have yet to actually see any of these. I called at least 6 places today that one of the manufacturers say deal in their prefinished products, none of the retailers had any idea what I was talking about. One said he'd call the manufacturer and get back to me, of course that didn't happen. Does anyone know of a lumber yard that deals in any of these items in Ct. or Ma.? I'd love to see what they look like and cost.

Hey Bob,

About 10 miles north of the central MA./NH border there is
    a place called Monadnock Plywood. I've done a lot of business
    with him and I bet he could get, or at least know HOW to get,
    the things you're looking for. As a side note, I just got some
    3/4" A-Grade cherry plywood from him for $82. Not too shabby
    thinks I...

e-me if you would like me to pull up the # for you...

Bob - I've always had good luck with these guys. They deliver to Mass twice a week.

http://www.mainecoastlumber.com/

Highly recommended, very informative and helpful, especially on stuff they do not inventory. Might be worth a call.
    Only the Blue Roads

Thanks guys, I'll give both a call if nothing closer turns up. Hunter, I found the number for Monadnock.

Same question about plywood but located farther South.... Say central Virginia or within driving distance from here.

Bob,
    I have had the same frustrating experience--the major plywood suppliers around here (I've called Atlantic, Highland, and Boulter) don't carry much in the way of pre-finished ply. One of them (can't recall) carries maple pre-finished, but not walnut which I was looking for. And it's not baltic birch but regular ply. They may be able to order them, but then one might as well just go through a vendor that carries it and ships it. I'd read about how great it was to use these and was willing to go for it--maybe they're easy to find in Mark Singer's neighborhood, but not around here.
    Rob

I am looking for the same thing. I called my local Woodcraft the other day and they can order it. Woodcraft is NOT known for their bargan-basement pricing so you pay a bit of a premium for the convienience but you can get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Blaustein
    Bob,
    I have had the same frustrating experience--the major plywood suppliers around here (I've called Atlantic, Highland, and Boulter) don't carry much in the way of pre-finished ply. One of them (can't recall) carries maple pre-finished, but not walnut which I was looking for. And it's not baltic birch but regular ply. They may be able to order them, but then one might as well just go through a vendor that carries it and ships it. I'd read about how great it was to use these and was willing to go for it--maybe they're easy to find in Mark Singer's neighborhood, but not around here.
    Rob
    Same ones I tried, maybe we could get together and take a ride to Ca.? Of course the warm weather might be hard to take, I've got a feeling it was warmer there then our 7° last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Johnson2
    Same ones I tried, maybe we could get together and take a ride to Ca.? Of course the warm weather might be hard to take, I've got a feeling it was warmer there then our 7° last night.
    And while we're there, we can hang out with Mark Singer, kibbitz a bit, and cut the pieces to size in his great shop. I can almost taste the latte again...

Mark, fire up the Agazzani, we're on our way!

If the Boston area is not too far away, <a href="http://boulterplywood.com/">Boulter Plywood</a> in Somerville has apple ply and probably everything else too. Their website doesn't list everything they stock, in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Olson
    If the Boston area is not too far away, Boulter Plywood in Somerville has apple ply and probably everything else too. Their website doesn't list everything they stock, in my experience.
    Chip,
    I may actually go there this weekend, and yes, they do have a nice selection, but if I recall, when I called them, they said they didn't carry prefinished walnut ply (I think they only had prefinished maple).
    -Rob

Bob,

Give Highland Hardwoods in Brentwood NH a try. I know they can get pre-finished stuff though I don't know which species. There prices are pretty good, the service is fantastic and the turn-around time on special order stuff is pretty quick - just a few days. The only bummer is that they don't deliver.

I exclusively buy from them (nope - not affiliated with them).

Good luck,
    -joe
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Try Atlantic Plywood

Atlantic Plywood in NJ will sell small quantities and carries cabinet grade plywood as well as baltic birch. Decent prices and they can deliver. They have locations closer to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Linne
    Atlantic Plywood in NJ will sell small quantities and carries cabinet grade plywood as well as baltic birch. Decent prices and they can deliver. They have locations closer to you.
    They told me I have to go through a retailer. They do sell it, just not to me!

Maybe I'll call the one in Albany, or Woburn.

Rob, you might want to try the one in Woburn too, maybe you'll get lucky.