Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your must have Chainsaw accessories?

What are your must have Chainsaw accessories?

Happy new year guys! Any suggestions?

Files, tool used to remove spark plug, tighten chain, remove covers and spare plug and chain oil.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Plastic wedges. HF electric chain sharpener, chaps, helmet with ear and face protection.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-04-2023 at 7:48 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    The little push grease gun for the sprocket at the tip of the bar (also useful if your robot gets rusty).
    Best Regards, Maurice

Five responses before someone mentions eye protection.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-04-2023 at 7:48 PM.

Don't you guys read?

Hipa Store is a sponsor - - they pay to post here under the company name. The money they pay - -helps offset what we don't pay to keep the lights on here.

Quite frankly - I'm pretty disgusted with the treatment being shown to them. They pay money to support this site and what do they get in return?
    (other than a load of crud)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I wouldn't say the posts are pointless, they are basic survey questions about chainsaw use. They're trying to decide what parts to list on their site for the most common tool repairs.

https://www.hipastore.com/?gclid=Cj0...gaAjPkEALw_wcB

You're not obligated to respond if you don't like the questions or think it's a bot.

Regardless the store has a lot of good stuff and it looks to be a good so If I saw a banner ad I might be inclined to click and shop.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    I snooped around the store a little today. I could not find a little, push type, grease gun for the sprocket at the end of the bar. The main focus seems to be on keeping homeowner equipment living longer than the EPA required 70 hour life span for dirty running, cheap, gas powered equipment. They have a lot of parts.

This is part of the story but not the part I am looking for....

On April 24, 2008, the United States announced a settlement with Jenn Feng Industrial Co., Ltd. (Jenn Feng), McCulloch Corporation (McCulloch), MTD Products Inc (MTD), and MTD Southwest Inc (MTDSW), that will require the companies to pay a civil penalty of $2 million and spend about $5 million on environmental projects. The Consent Decree resolves violations of Title II of the Clean Air Act (Act) arising from the production and importation of about 200,000 chainsaws that exceeded emissions standards and that did not comply with the nonroad requirements of the Act.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 01-04-2023 at 6:25 PM. Reason: trying to find the 70 hour lifespan rule for cheap chainsaw's
    Best Regards, Maurice

My #1 chainsaw accessory is FRESH, NON ALCOHOL FUEL MIX! I don't list eye protection as I wear safety glasses all day when awake. Have been known to wear them when napping while watching TV with eyes closed.

Thinking this might be it
    Circular Saw Beam Cutter Attachment

Harbor Freight sent me a notice and they have one at the store a mile away, think it will be my wedding anniversary present tomorrow. I will be so surprised when I open the package from SWMBO after lunch tomorrow.
    Have wanted one sine the 80's never had a reason to buy one AND the time to wait to get it at the same time.
    With this price thinking it will finally happen.
    Ron

I go into the woods equipped to deal with all maintenance, and a full suite of safety gear.

For safety gear, composite toe boots with SS insoles. The insoles are more for construction sites with nails and screws on the ground then forestry, but I got enough shoes already. Kevlar chaps, forestry helmet with eye and earguards, leather gloves, and I made a pair of heavy leather forearm protectors some years ago. Cell phone on my person when felling in case I live through an accident and have cell service. Lots of hydration drinks of whatever-Ade to stay hydrated out there.

For the actual saw, I carry a one gallon can of 50:1 in my truck, I consistently get tired each day before that is empty. Squirty/squeezy bottle of sprocket lube, at least two sharpening files, sharpening guide. At least a quart of bar oil. I have about a 4oz oilcan, with the springy bottom, used to belong to my grandpa, with bar oil in it so I can oil up the chain after sharpening. I have a similar smaller bottle, about 1 oz, with 30W synthetic in it keep the clutch oiled up. I have a couple tools to clean the bar, one a well worn wooden shim with a rounded corner to clean dust out of the groove, and a dental tool for that wee drilled hole the bar oil is supposed to come through into the chain groove. I do have a mfr tool for my saw, I think a "skrench" or some such, screwdriver tip at one end, hex socket at the other. The hex tip works on my bar nuts, the screw tip is handy if the fuel or bar oil caps are too tight, and to adjust chain tension. Spare clean air filter, spare spark plug. Usually one spare chain.

I figure when I wreck two chains in one day I need to put the saw down and get some sleep. Usually oiling problems because of dust accumulation in the groove for me, and it has been a while. I don't carry a flat file into the woods for raker adjustment, I do that in the shop at home. Engine work beyond air filter or spark plug replacement is better done at home in my shop.

Strictly a serious amateur firewood cutter here. I have 5-6 chains in the garage, all sharp and ready to go, but I don't take all of them into the woods with me every day. On the years I am felling my own trees I start about Feb 1 with felling, and look to have about 8 cords split and stacked by mid March, with getting the chains I left in the garage rehabbed a chore that can be put off until the stacking is done.

Red face

I'm guessing that my '87 model McCulloch Pro Mac isn't covered under that edict.
    I'll be cutting down a smallish dead maple tree on the property this weekend. Wearing Roundhouse brand (USA made) bib overalls, Keen boots w/o steel toes,wool socks, long sleeved cotton/polyester shirt, my prescription wraparound sunglasses and some Winchester earmuffs. If it's cool enough I'll wear a hat.
    I'll wrap a chain around the trunk about 15 feet up, hook it to a come along that's hooked on my 1951 Ferguson tractor and use that to pull the tree where I want it to fall. Wife will be watching with cell phone in hand to call emergency services if necessary. It's all good, man. :-)
    BillL
    Last edited by William Lessenberry; 01-05-2023 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hipa Store View Post
    Happy new year guys! Any suggestions?
    Along with wedges never venture far from the shop without an extra chain sar or at least a extra bar and chain when working out in the woods. Pinch the chain and simply remove the saw head, mount the extra bar/chain, and cut the stuck one loose. (if you get the second one stuck get remedial chain saw instruction)

But the #1 accessory I seldom saw without - the excavator with a thumb. Makes nearly all chainsawing much easier and much safer. Pull logs from a jumbled pile and hold each at waist height for safe cutting while standing on solid ground instead of balancing on a jumbled pile. Never let the chain touch the ground again. When cut, pick up and stack logs in neat stacks, pile all limbs and branches in s separate pile. Never struggle to lift a heavy chink of wood or cut logs in small enough pieces to lift by hand. I even use it to take down trees by digging around the roots and pushing the tree over - much safer than felling the tree with the chainsaw (and as a bonus the stump is out of the ground!) When all cut load everything into the hydraulic dump trailer and haul it away.

If you don’t already have one sitting around an excavator (and a dump trailer) could add a bit to the cost of the chain saw kit but well worth it DEPENDING on what how much and what kind of chainsawing you do. For my use these are “must have” accessories.

JKJ