Thread: How often do you tighten your chainsaw chain?

How often do you tighten your chainsaw chain?

"What a DUMB question! I tighten my chainsaw chain when it gets loose." - I know that's the BASIC answer!

But, I am curious to know how often? Do you tighten your chainsaw chain after each use or daily.

For example, I personally check my chain tension and tighten it properly every time I refill the tank. (Regardless of how much time has passed since the last use.)

I'm sure there are many different opinions and methods out there, so I'd love to hear what everyone does!

Thanks in advance for your input. : )

Blog Entries
    It depends on the condition of my bar, chain and mostly sprocket. Because I am running a worn out sprocket I am tightening the chain all the time. Hippa Store, do you have a clutch and sprocket for a Stihl 029 Farm Boss? Also, can you recommend the longest bar and chain available for my saw?
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 01-06-2023 at 7:42 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

We purchase firewood in the longer form. Lately 8 foot lengths with load sizes of 12 cord. If we cut for most of the day, I always file the chain at least once.

When I do, I remove the chain and bar and make sure the oil gallery is clean on the bar. reinstall, tighten and file. Check the drags at the same time. Good luck.

When its not running preferably. Everytime the saw is off I grab the chain to see if its sagging a bit and tighten if needed.

The Stihl with the no-tools-required tightener gets adjusted frequently. The other one which requires the little wrench embedded in a holder in the handle from which it cannot be removed without another tool, not so often.

I tighten my chain before I use the saw, then (if I remember before it gets too loose after getting hot) a few minutes into using it. When I am done using the saw, or on a longer break, I loosen the chain. I don’t want there to be an issue with different cooling rates between the bar and chain causing accelerated wear issues.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Pretty much every time I fill the fuel tank I at least check the chain tension.