Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Notre Dame roof reconstruction

I did not read it all. As I understand it the wood is all coming from France or maybe nearby countries. I would think Catholics world wide would be proud to donate a few living oak trees to the cause. Does Quebec have good oaks?
    Bill D

I believe all the logs were cut in France. No doubt suitable timber could have been found elsewhere, but logistics, authenticity and national pride were on the side of local sourcing. According to this article https://www.internationaloaksociety....led-notre-dameat least some of the trees cut were Quercus Petraea or sessile oak native to Europe, whereas Quercus Alba or white oak is commonly used in North American timber framing. I do know that the logs were tracked through the sawing and joinery process so that every piece of wood incorporated into the trusses should be traceable to its point of origin.

When the Washington Monument was built various countries donated foundation stones quarried in their country. I believe one even came from the UK.
    Bill D

https://prologue.blogs.archives.gov/...gton-monument/
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-29-2024 at 9:07 PM.

Bill , that is right , but the U.S. States also gave stones with pics of their STATES doing interesting stuff , those are on inside
    The exterior stone came from at least two States , and there is a line toward the lower part that shows the 2 sources…
    don’t match. But few notice it , it’s the guides that blab about it ! I’m currently making an Obolisk for my yard. Will be 6 or 7 feet tall.
    City won’t let me go higher. Oblusklie , I would like to go higher.