Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drilling mild steel

Drilling mild steel

I have an exercycle that I still use occasionally after 20 years, more so recently to strengthen my spindly legs. I find the wide seat uncomfortable and want to replace it with a bicycle seat which though narrower is better suited to my anatomy. As the seat height adjustor is topped with a 1/8" plate welded to it I have to adapt it to a bicycle seat post by drilling an appropriate sized hole, approximately 25.4 mm-28 mm in diameter. The bicycle seat tube topped with the bike saddle can then be adjusted in height using the exercycle seat height adjustor. Drilling was difficult. Though I hoped to complete it with a step drill bit, my progress to just 3/8" using a hand held power drill with a twist bit has been slow (1/8-1/4-3/8 so far) and the bit has bound several times. I am certain I can't get far with the step bit which I am trying to cancel from Amazon and which I should not have ordered before my test drilling.
    I have only a woodworkers' drill press, no drill press vise, and no way of securing the relatively heavy seat height adjustor to the drill press table. I am reconciled to the present seat but if someone has a pertinent suggestion I would be delighted. The bloody knuckle occurred from a scrape not related to the drilling but I included it as click-bait.
    rsz_a77df138-6670-4942-8896-4ef350d2b855_1_201_a.jpg

Blog Entries
    I also, on occasion, drill holes in metal on my wood working drill press. I see the wound on your finger where the piece of metal bit you.

Your first step should be to secure the piece you are drilling such that when it grabs you hands are not struck by the rotating piece. Use either a drill vice or mount the metal piece on a board that can be clamped to your drill press table. Set your depth stop so you cannot drill all the way through the piece of wood.

Once the piece is securely held. Make sure your drill bits are sharp. Add a bit of lubrication to your drill bit and make sure your drill bit is turning about 450 rpm. Use light but steady downward pressure to achieve consistent chip removal as you drill into the piece. You may want to take smaller incremental steps as your hole gets larger in diameter.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Step drills actually work quite well. The geometry is different and you don't get the grabbing you can get with a twist drill. That is not a recommendation to not secure the metal in a vise! Your hole size statement is a bit unsettling. A range of 1/8" is quite large. I'm trying to decide you think you can just put in a large drill bit and do that in one setup. A much better technique is to start with a 1/4" drill bit and then change to larger as you progress. One setup would be extremely difficult to do. You should move this to the metalworking sub forum, not woodworking.

If a 1" hole will work, send it to me and I'll drill it on a drill press I have set up for metal. I only have fractional bits that large, but 1" equals 25.4 mm. It's an easy job for someone set up for it. I'll get it right back to you.

I would use woodscrews or nuts and bolts with washers through the holes and screw the workpiece onto a piece of scrap 2x4. Then brace the long end of the 2x4 against the left side of the support coluum. I would c-clamp the assembly to the dp table so it does not lift up. Since I have one I would use a big countersink or tapered reamer to enlarge the hole.
    Even if you had a vise, drilling a 1" hole might spin the vise unless it is clamped down so it can not spin.
    Bill D

I forgot I have car reamers too, but I'll have to check to see if I have any over 1".

Drilling a large, precision hole in that plate seems like a bad idea. Even if you got it the right size for a seat post, how would that be held in place?

Can you post pics of the machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    Drilling a large, precision hole in that plate seems like a bad idea. Even if you got it the right size for a seat post, how would that be held in place?

Can you post pics of the machine?
    The post is 24" long and the plate is welded to it. It is heavy and built solidly. I held it securely in a machinist vise bolted to the top of my workbench and drilled it without anything moving beside the drill when it caught. The seat posts can be purchased in many diameters 25.4, 27.5, 28.6, 30.9, 31.6 mm. The hole I drill will be a few mm. larger than the post. Amazon sells tubular shims that can be of varied thickness, for instance a tube of 27.2 mm diameter can be matched to a 28.6, 30.0, 30.9, or 33.9 mm. O.D. sleeve. I intend to have it fit snugly but not perfectly as the tubes are 350 mm. long and my weight will hold it in place with the sleeve chosen to minimize lateral shift. Obviously you would want a clamping mechanism for street bicycling.

My knuckle truly was injured when I slammed it against a drill bit after it was chucked, but not during any machining process.
    Thanks to Tom's offer and others' suggestions. My cancellation of the step drill bit came too late so I may try it at 1 1/8" (28.6 mm.)
    Last edited by Bruce Mack; 01-06-2023 at 6:24 PM. Reason: additional comment

Blog Entries
    A bi-metal hole saw could still be used. You could drill through a piece of wood, bolt that to the seat base as a guide and proceed with caution, it may be some funky imported steel. It will be an epic hack when you get it done. A Good wash, Neosporin, and a bandaid for that wound : (
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    A bi-metal hole saw could still be used. You could drill through a piece of wood, bolt that to the seat base as a guide and proceed with caution, it may be some funky imported steel. It will be an epic hack when you get it done. A Good wash, Neosporin, and a bandaid for that wound : (
    Thank you, Maurice. I like this option. I'm too dumb to stop yet and too weak to move a new exercycle to the second floor where the old one resides.

It's not safe to drill a hole that large in metal that thick by hand. I tried enlarging a hole in a tractor block with a 3/4" spade handle drill using a 49/64" bit. We had a 5' long 3/4" pipe with a 300 lb. very strong helper holding the end of the 5' handle. The bit caught, and it bent the bit. No one got hurt, but that was my last try at that, and I bought a magnetic drill press for the job.

Even with a big spade handled drill, there is too much danger of injury. I would think about welding another type of seat mount on the top of that post, even if you needed to cut that plate off. I would probably modify it to use a regular seat post by cutting part of the top of the square tube and welding in a couple of bushings, then welding it back on. It's not a hard job for someone set up to do that sort of thing.

Thanks for the pics.

Doesn't the saddle that you want to replace have rails the same as the new saddle?

Alternatively, cut off the overhanging part of the plate and weld on a round seatpost.

Can you bolt a floor flange to that plate and use a piece of water pipe as a seat post.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Mack View Post
    I have an exercycle that I still use occasionally after 20 years, more so recently to strengthen my spindly legs. I find the wide seat uncomfortable and want to replace it with a bicycle seat which though narrower is better suited to my anatomy. As the seat height adjustor is topped with a 1/8" plate welded to it I have to adapt it to a bicycle seat post by drilling an appropriate sized hole, approximately 25.4 mm-28 mm in diameter. The bicycle seat tube topped with the bike saddle can then be adjusted in height using the exercycle seat height adjustor. Drilling was difficult. Though I hoped to complete it with a step drill bit, my progress to just 3/8" using a hand held power drill with a twist bit has been slow (1/8-1/4-3/8 so far) and the bit has bound several times. I am certain I can't get far with the step bit which I am trying to cancel from Amazon and which I should not have ordered before my test drilling.
    I have only a woodworkers' drill press, no drill press vise, and no way of securing the relatively heavy seat height adjustor to the drill press table. I am reconciled to the present seat but if someone has a pertinent suggestion I would be delighted. The bloody knuckle occurred from a scrape not related to the drilling but I included it as click-bait.
    rsz_a77df138-6670-4942-8896-4ef350d2b855_1_201_a.jpg

I would recommend using a large C-clamp to clamp your plate to your drill press table. If you don't have any, then this is a good time to buy some. Use a piece of scrap plywood between your metal and the table to prevent drilling into the table. Use the slowest speed your drill press offers. If you need a 1" dia. hole, then a hole saw designed for metal will work if you size the pilot hole in your part to match the hole saw pilot bit (normally 1/4" diameter). If you have already drilled the pilot hole larger than 1/4", then you could try using the hole saw (in the drill press) with no pilot. Make sure your part is securely clamped - use several large C-clamps - not wood working clamps - and crank it down tight. Use plenty of lubricating oil on the hole saw as you slowly proceed to create the hole.

Here in my shop, I would clamp that part to the milling machine table and use a hole saw mounted to the spindle.

Good Luck!

David

Blog Entries
    I recommend a drill with a clutch. I have two drills that have a clutch. A little Ryobi corded Diver drill and a big D handle DeWalt SDS with an adaptor and chuck. The clutch is a great safety feature.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 01-07-2023 at 7:42 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice