Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Circular saws

Circular saws

Well, I gotta getta new 7 1/4". I've been using my PC Saw Boss for years, but I want the bigger blade. I know everyone has a favorite, but are there any real dogs in the top names? I like the Bosch with the detachable cord, but that sucker is almost as heavy as my sidewinder.

PC Mag? Makita? Help me spend money.
    Every deed plants a seed.

I will definitley end up with a Festool, but for now, I need one for construction as much as cabinet making. Plus, it's above my current pay grade.
    Every deed plants a seed.

I know what you mean, I cant afford it right now either. I just cant stop drooling over it.

Howard,

I don't know alot about circular saws, but I made good use of an old Craftsman for 25 yrs. My wife bought me a new Makita and it's like using a different tool. It is great, and worlds better than the Craftsman. I haven't ever used anything else, but the Makita is good.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

I've had a DW364 for about 10 years now. It was/is the "top of the line" Dewalt 7 1/4" saw. They also make an 8 1/4" version of the same, the DW384. It is a very tough saw with plenty of power. About the best recomendation I have is that my wife will use it, but won't touch my old consumer grade B&D that I still have. She thought the old B&D was dangerous. I still keep it for jobs I wouldn't use the Dewalt for, like vinyl siding, or abrasive blades (concrete, or metal).

The reality is that as long as you stick with a decent brand, you'll probably be happy with it. Milwaukee, Skil, Makita, DeWalt, PC all make pretty decent stuff, expecially when you move up to a larger blade size than the 7 1/4". Then it comes down to features and budget.

Ok, I just re-read your post, It sounds like you are moving up to a 7 1/4" from your little 6" PC, but you also have a "sidewinder" or "worm drive" saw too. All I can say is be wary of almost all of the lower priced saws from the manufacturers listed above. Though even the low end stuff is better than what used to be available to the average consumer 20 years ago. The price difference between the low and high is generally what you'd also pay for a consumer grade saw in as many years ago.
    Last edited by Bill Lewis; 01-27-2006 at 6:59 AM.

Howard, I have DeWalt 7 1/2", pretty sure it's the DW364 (it's too cold to head to the shop right now and check it). Great Saw, but at a little over 12 lbs it's too heavy for me. So heavy, I don't use it as much as I really could. My point, consider the weight factor before you buy. That heavy saw wears my arms and wrists down way too fast.
    Tony

Howard,

I got by for years and years with several CS names and models. Finally broke down and got my first REAL CS last summer. PC Mag..... Sweet is the only word that comes to mind.

I have an DeWalt

Howard.
    Have had the DW364 for about 5 years. This is a great saw with the rear pivot depth of cut adjustment. Plenty of power and fun to operate. Even my grown son the "Engineer" can manage to operate it!

Frank

Hi Howard,

how about a Mafell circular saw?
    If I needed a new circular saw Mafell would be my favourite choice. Their saws appear to be very well-made, durable and Mafell offers a nice guide rail system.

Regards,

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

Howard, I picked up a Bosch 8-1/4" cut CS about 6 or 7 months ago. Nice unit! Greater depth of cut, adapted easily to my EZ system and one feature I found, which will be real useful for me is, the thing will actually bevel out to 60°, rather than the typical 45°.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Howard,

I have a 14 yr old Delta/Rockwell, a Skill super mag worm drive, and a one year old Porter Cable. All are great units, but you know what... more often than not you find me with the PC in hand. It is a very nice, well balanced saw with plenty of power.
    Bonus, it is offered in both Left and Right combinations.
    Another saw I have used and liked it the Milwaukee with the tilt handle.

Overall my recomendation is the PC... that is of course if you dont have the extra $$ for the Festool... what an amazing saw that is!

Howard, I bought the PC 743 left-bladed model. I can see the blade and the cutline. When I was younger and stronger I used the worm-drive units. Now I find these a little too heavy and awkward to use due to my aging body. Good luck with your decision!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Aufreiter
    Hi Howard,

how about a Mafell circular saw?
    If I needed a new circular saw Mafell would be my favourite choice. Their saws appear to be very well-made, durable and Mafell offers a nice guide rail system.

Regards,

Christian
    And I thought Festool was expensive...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Aquino
    And I thought Festool was expensive...
    I'm not familiar with Mafell’s pricing in the USA but in Europe, Mafell saws are hardly more expensive than Festool's.

Regards,

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)