Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

20 Jan 2023

Greetings,
    So here I sit waiting for the ice storm warning to kick in. I guess we'll see. Spent a little time in the shop teaching another student about woodworking things they wanted to know. Worked on cleaning up the shop some, got several things done at the day job and helped The LOML setup a more permanent work area since she is in her last semester of college then she will graduate. I'm super proud of her and all she has accomplished so far in college.
    Still working on the nightstands for my #2 son and been spending some time helping my #3 son deal with depression and PTSD since he's gotten out of the Army. One day, I hope he gets back to a more normal way of life that he so desires for himself. There's many things that run through my mind as I try to help him but at least I have him seeing a counselor that he likes and is helping him so far.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis, I hope that therapy, etc, helps #3 move forward in a more positive way. I do understand the struggle, as you know, with our older. I also hope you don't get hit with too much ice...that would be "not fun" for sure.

Busy week plodding along with various small shop projects, such as a small plane till for the OmniWall system, completing the storage shelf unit for the CNC end of the tool wall, and getting my lathe back together and cleaned up. I also got the sheet goods moved out of the shed and into their storage spot in the shop. This week will be more of the same kinds of activities. I kinda need to finish the "commissioning" of my slider so the fence scale is accurate and also do a little tune-up on the J/P that is long overdue.

Here's the small plane till for those who didn't see the thread in Workshops. Oak scraps and some cheap shelf brackets modified for the task.

IMG_E3851.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-31-2023 at 9:50 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Finally got my plane till hung on the wall and filled. It is made from knotty alder and was my first shot at a French polished finish. Great weekend in the shop!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks great, Robert!!!!
    --

Dueling plane tills! I do not have enough planes, nor do I use the ones I have enough to need a till, but I enjoy looking at them!
    I finished the new finger joint jig and got it dialed in. I wanted some 1/4" stock to test it and use for setup, so that led to putting the resaw blade on the bandsaw, which led to tuning up the bandsaw since I haven't checked it in a while. Will post pics of the jig in the appropriate thread. I bought enough sycamore to do several small projects, and it's had a week or so to acclimate in the shop, so I'll get started on those next.

Pickleball classes are finished, but still playing at least once a week and enjoying it a lot. Have progressed to the point where I don't get the PER (pickleball eye roll) very often. I put a new faucet in the laundry room and also added a filtered water faucet in there. My coffee making stuff is in there and previously I had to go to the kitchen to get filtered water for making coffee. I installed the filter system in the basement when I did the kitchen, so all I had to do was tie in to the line in the basement. Of course, that involved cleaning out the storage room to get access to the filtered water line, and that led to taking a big pile of stuff to the habitat restore. And then I had to clean out all the old cleaning supplies that were under the laundry room sink.

One of these days I hope to do a project that doesn't lead to 3 or 4 other projects!
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

A little more slow progress on mirror frame: whitewash & greenish stain, couple of coats of WB poly, fitting ebony plugs. I forgot what a PIA it is making those.

Got a little batch of ebay tools for this long plane, & working on it. Thinking about putting a 5/16" layer on the sole- something you don't really see.

Working on a deck that I built 25-30 years ago. The hot tub died & was removed, & now filling in the hole and more. Made the cabinets from Ipe- they have held up well.IMG_3895.jpegIMG_3896.jpgIMG_3897.jpgIMG_3898.jpgIMG_3899.jpgIMG_3900.jpg

I finally got the under the stairs area put together. The addition is through the doorway under the top of the stairs, and the coat closet thing is on the side of that little passageway. The garbage can on the cart has about 100 pounds of flour and oats in it and is rolled out when it's time to fill the jars in the kitchen. I still need to fill in under the banister one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Dueling plane tills! I do not have enough planes, nor do I use the ones I have enough to need a till, but I enjoy looking at them!!
    Ironically, Robert and I were texting back and forth at about the same time both tills were works in progress. If he hadn't moved a couple thousand miles west to "paradise" a number of years ago, we could have done side-by-side projects. LOL
    --