Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to cut the lid of a box.

Cut open a box today. I just used a single pin to mark my line, then darkened it with a pencil. Worked each corner, taking my time to extend one direction at a time. Once all four corners were started I connected each end. Stuck little wedges in and used some tape to hold the lid on, then connected the cuts on the front and back. I was pretty happy with the outcome, it shouldn’t take much clean-up. Slow and steady!

694FD8C5-733A-4676-BB39-85228C798B74.jpg1EEF17BD-3D95-414B-A8B5-2B70785EF928.jpg9C049D11-896D-4AA9-ACC0-CB4A0F58EB5B.jpg8A1E20A1-2904-462A-B72E-67F6CD81941C.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Daniels View Post
    Kerf Plane!!? That’s a thing? (Image searched commenced….yes, it’s a thing)
    It reminds me of bumper bowling. Training wheels. Water wings.
    All those things that are used to help someone get along for a bit while their skills come up to date.
    I think it would help me cleanly complete this task.
    They are used for much more than a training aide, I wouldn't categorize them that way. The styles with adjustable fences are quite versatile.
    JMO

I did a ton of stupid things in my life, using a plow plane for separating a lid was one of them. However, I think maybe a combination of a plow and sawing could work for someone who's not really great at sawing. Plowing a shallow groove outside, maybe 1/16" or even 1/8" would really help to keep saw straight. There are plows with 1/8" iron, that's totally enough for a kerf and cleanup.

Yeah, was going to say that. For whatever reasons two lines help to saw in between them. Also this could be a tool problem, no matter how good you're at sawing, if a saw doesn't track well - it will go off the track. So I would also suggest finding a decent hardened tooth saw from a big box store, they usually set evenly by a machine and they generally track well. Then I would practice on scraps and compare how my other saw tracks.

Another trick is if you find yourself too much off is to just go back a little and start again (slightly twisting a tote for a saw to bit in) or just go from another end. But of course practice is what makes is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I would use a plow plane with a fence and an 1/8" cutter in it.

You will have to plough through the endgrain and this is where you realize you need a plan B. But you will probably realize it earlier while messing with the clamps and the blocks to avoid blowouts.