Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Look at these YouTube instructors. How many of these planes and chisels get used?

When I started collecting tools in the early 80s, the hunt was much more complicated and immensly more enjoyable that looking at my computer screen. It was as much about social contacts than anything. You had to go to Midwest Tool Collector gatherings, know a friend who knew a widow, or other methods of contact. I had a whole group of friends and connections and my collections grew. Not only did you find a tool, you bought it from a knowledgeable user that gave you advice when you bought from him. Most of those knowledgeable old timers are dead now, including 2 of my best friends. I enjoy my collections a tremendous amount and have a storehouse of stories to go with most of the purchases. At 70, the stories are getting more use than the tools.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 02-09-2023 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I enjoy my collections a tremendous amount and have a storehouse of stories to go with most of the purchases. At 70, the stories are getting more use than the tools.
    Make sure to pass them both on!

I'm fairly young still at 35, but I really lament that I didn't ask my Grandfather a lot more questions. He was a Woodworker, and lived through both WWII and the Great Depression. I learned a lot from him but I realize now how much more I should have asked him about. So many stories and experiences are lost forever because we didn't think to ask about them at the time.

That's why I love these forums. There are some incredibly knowledgeable folks here with a true treasure trove of knowledge and experience that I'll never even begin to approach. I benefit from it, but I know that I won't be able to pass most of it on to my children (or whoever may be interested).

And a lot of it isn't even stuff that you would typically think to include in a book. It's just the little things -- tips and tricks that never get mentioned or talked about much but make all the difference, or little stories that go along with a thing or an experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    A little harsh for a gentleman like yourself, don't you think Derek? While these folks don't operate in the rarified air you do, they further the cause of the craft we all love with over 1,000,000 combined subscribers. I have the deepest respect for you and your skillset, but why the sour critique?

James Wright does in fact build furniture. Watch some of his content, as painful as that might be for you. He has two YouTube channels with over 300K combined subscribers. He's pretty goofy at times but has published some informative videos. Info-tainment if you will. I've been able to glean a few tips from the episodes I've watched. Should he be mocked because he's a content creator? I don't think so. His chosen path is different than mine but he seems to do well. At least he's honest. Good for him.

Stumpy Nubs is another success story. He has a cabinet shop/video production facility in Michigan. His workshop is a set. Like James Wright he comes off a little silly at times, but that's his schtick. He has almost 800K subscribers that seem to like the cornball approach. I suspect the resulting income from YouTube exceeds both yours and mine. He promotes a craft we love. Why drag the guy down?

Both of these guys (and many like them) decorate their studio backdrop with all manner of old tools. It's mostly window dressing. This is not a new idea in show business. Here in the states, members of our legal profession (solicitors in your neck of the woods?) make slick ads for television showing them seated behind immense collections of legal publications looking as serious as an undertaker, the message being "look how smart I am. I read all these". The reality is legal research is all done electronically with keywords and search engines. No one cracks a book any more. It's show business.

Please take this in the good spirit intended. Also please consider adding some content to your YouTube channel. What you have is gold.
    Hi Rob

James Wright just posted a video on his Veritas #4 Custom Plane. I saw this, watched it (since I have one), and made a few comments, which he responded to. A few factors became clear:

1. He really likes this plane, but because he thinks that it adjusts better than others and is more comfortable to hold. Adjusting the blade is all important.

2. He uses a 55 degree frog and has no understanding about using a double iron/chipbreaker. None whatsoever.

3. He recommended a 30 degree frog ("because it is easier to push") to go along with the 55 (or even 65) degree frog. I explained to him that a 30 degree frog would not leave a clearance angle, and the plane would stop cutting, and his answer was "sharpen the blade at 25 degrees". (Roll my eyes).

Why does he post videos on these topics if he lacks the knowledge to offer expert advice? His public loved his video. Clearly they know no better and learn from him (and the likes of him). This is why I made the earlier comments I did here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cQK...odByWrightHow2

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Derek

It's clear you are far more advanced than James. Your work speaks for itself. In the case of the Veritas custom plane you could offer up a short video. No fancy editing, I know it would be good.

I know that both the presentations given by tool makers and by people like James are often lacking in substance and I can see why that may be annoying for you.

David Weaver made an excellent job of just putting out good information. James and the like are putting more effort into editing and presentation than making things.

I would appreciate seeing a video on the Veritas Custom plane by you. As far as I know the plane is no longer available in the UK.

My favourite at the moment is looking at the video thumbnails. The faces all have the resultant expression of a suprise colonoscopy.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hi Rob

James Wright just posted a video on his Veritas #4 Custom Plane. I saw this, watched it (since I have one), and made a few comments, which he responded to. A few factors became clear:

1. He really likes this plane, but because he thinks that it adjusts better than others and is more comfortable to hold. Adjusting the blade is all important.

2. He uses a 55 degree frog and has no understanding about using a double iron/chipbreaker. None whatsoever.

3. He recommended a 30 degree frog ("because it is easier to push") to go along with the 55 (or even 65) degree frog. I explained to him that a 30 degree frog would not leave a clearance angle, and the plane would stop cutting, and his answer was "sharpen the blade at 25 degrees". (Roll my eyes).

Why does he post videos on these topics if he lacks the knowledge to offer expert advice? His public loved his video. Clearly they know no better and learn from him (and the likes of him). This is why I made the earlier comments I did here.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Agreed. I'm not sure why he feels he's an authority on this. The 30° frog thing puzzles me. First, there's not a 30° frog available. Even if there was, the rest is is simple math and geometry. Whatever point he's trying to make escapes me. I see what he's trying to say regarding cutting angle versus ease to push, but in my experience I've not had much success with low angles on much besides end grain so I don't even bother using them on face or edge grain. An easy push is meaningless if you're tearing out.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Haydon View Post
    Hi Derek

It's clear you are far more advanced than James. Your work speaks for itself. In the case of the Veritas custom plane you could offer up a short video. No fancy editing, I know it would be good.

I know that both the presentations given by tool makers and by people like James are often lacking in substance and I can see why that may be annoying for you.

David Weaver made an excellent job of just putting out good information. James and the like are putting more effort into editing and presentation than making things.

I would appreciate seeing a video on the Veritas Custom plane by you. As far as I know the plane is no longer available in the UK.

My favourite at the moment is looking at the video thumbnails. The faces all have the resultant expression of a suprise colonoscopy.
    Graham, I appreciate the sentiments. David W makes good, honest videos. One may not always get along with his style, but he presents his information without fanfares. I appreciate this.

With regard making more videos, the spirit is willing but the flesh needs energy - the past two years of Covid have had me rushed off my feet in my practice. I prefer to demonstrate hand skills in areas which are not covered by others. If I make a video on the Custom planes, it would be to illustrate technique. It is a thought. I’ll think about it for a while.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries

Reading the comments had me wondering about some of the people.

A couple complained about the chip breaker screws being small and getting lost on the floor. Is the idea of working over a tray to catch small parts an idea that should be sent in to the shop tips columns of magazines everywhere?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I will try to keep my comments on topic with the original posting:

Certainly I have tools that get used very little - if at all. 'Sometimes' I sell them.

Often I buy some new/additional tool. Yet I have made a lot of projects from the tools I have owned the past (which has slowly grown over the years).

I am a sucker for a 'good deal' to pick up a new tool that I know I will use, even if only because it makes the job easier for me. Most of the tools I do own I could sell for more than I paid - and there have been times when I wondered if my hobby was buying/selling tools, or setting up a shop, and not woodworking...

Disclaimer: I also use power tools. Some people choose to only use hand tools when a power tool would be more efficient. Also, I OFTEN do things the 'wrong' way or in an 'inefficient' way. Thats fine, it becomes philosophical on how you approach your hobby.

I am currently in the process of reassessing my hand tool collection. For planes I added two new ones, set two aside to determine the fate of at some future time, and am getting rid of two. I use a power drill so the egg beater I keep only because it was one from a great grandfather. Same for a nice old rip saw - I dont rip by hand so that goes unused. Also, sometimes I use the CNC. Heck, I even use the 3D printer for many things I used to do in wood.

Figuring out what you like and that gives you the most satisfaction is a journey, and it may change over time.

Philosophical I say - you do you and filter out all the noise trying to tell you there is a certain 'way' to live.

Welcome anytime to visit my shop...bring any camera you want to use...and watch as I use quite a few tools..space is rather limited...and..you MIGHT have to do some Laundry, too..
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I known it's a pain Derek. Even the most basic video takes effort. If you get the time to make a vid come and post a link. I'd be interested.

I had to buy a pair of tyres for my motorcycle recently (stay with me). I'm okay with bikes, I even raced MX at a local level but I don't have the confidence that I do with Woodworking.

Just like with Woodworking, there are so many videos and sources of information. Much of it poorly curated and of a dubious standard. Thankfully I found a reputable dealer and spoke with an experienced person. If I made a choice based on YouTube I would of made a different and ultimately worse decision.

Back to the Woodworking content creators. As you've pointed out, sadly a lot of it is poor and if someone used them as a resource they would likely become frustrated. I don't have a problem with them making money. We just need to be clear that the success is driven by tabloid headlines, sponsorships, affiliates and solving imaginary problems.

Blog Entries
    solving imaginary problems.
    So true, some Youtube mentors insist on trying to fix things that aren't broken.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

As the "OP" I have no problem with the thread changing focus. My mention of the YouTube was just to show examples of shops where there are a lot of planes. I was thinking about space planning as I expand my woodworking into more hand tool use, and wondering how often people use all of the planes they own when the number gets to be over 10-15.

Perhaps in addition, it would beneficial for there to be separate threads to critically discuss YouTube videos. I find some useful, especially the ones by Garrett Hack as I plan to do a workshop with him. I always liked the videos with Frank Klausz. Seems like Paul Sellers and Rob Cosman are well regarded on this forum. I find the comments and criticisms of certain videos very educational. In the medical world there is something called "Journal Club" where doctors get together and critique published papers pointing out strengths and weaknesses and the experts offer insights.

Once the thrill of getting as many planes as one can get his hands on starts to wane and one shifts focus on making something, having too many planes of the same kind becomes counterproductive. It becomes hard to keep track of the idiosyncrasies of each plane. Keeping track of 10 smothing planes doesn't is kind of silly.

Hmmm...
    Midnight oil, made a mess.JPG
    This tends to happen, when I get bored....
    Midnight oil, mess makers.JPG
    Earning their keep?

Midnight oil, flat.JPG
    3 boards..from rough sawn to almost time to glue up...jointed, and face planed....Ash.
    Midnight oil, working on a grain match.JPG
    Going to be a slight "spring" to the joints...

Wondering which Video I watched to learn to do all of this.....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Blog Entries
    wondering how often people use all of the planes they own when the number gets to be over 10-15.
    As often as can be. Of course some of my molding planes may sit unused for more than a year. Then project comes along that can use the odd sized hollow and round or the small ogee planes.

Taking time to think about my combination planes (Stanley #45s) made me realize the most that have been set up for different tasks on a single job was three. So my fourth was set up with some blades and given to one of my grandsons. Then of course there was one in an antique mall at such a ridiculously low price it just had to come home with me.

There are a few older planes that have been set aside since some better replacements have come along. The thought of selling some of them as parts planes often crosses my mind. Even though they are good users they may be a bit finicky for the average user.

Then there are duplicate molding planes. If one of my grandkids gets serious about woodworking maybe they will want them.

The problem with selling them is the hassle of boxing them up and shipping them. Even less motivating is not needing anything for the shop on which to spend any money earned from selling off excess tools.

My only real motivation for selling anything would to free up some space.

jtk