Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pancake compressors

Pancake compressors

As we move to the new place I am going to replace my 20 gal Dewalt compressor with a pancake type. Having gotten rid of the plasma unit I only have a couple finish nail guns and probably bike tires to take care of. What do you like in these tools?

I have used a Makita Quiet series compressor for the last few years to run staplers/brad/pin nailers. Runs great, no issues to speak of.

Much quieter than my old 20 gal compressor. Sold at HD I believe.

Those pancake compressors are so noIsy. I got one many years ago and only used it a couple times. It sat for several years and then I donated it to a organization that could use it in a light industrial env. I got a small senco that is much quieter. If it had a larger tank, it would be more useful, but I use it much more tgan the old one.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I had a pancake compressor, but I didn't particularly like anything about it other than not heavy.

I recommend the Makita 2HP hot dog compressor, if you don't plan to spray. Small footprint, quiet, good output, oil bath so it lasts. Surprisingly heavy 'tho...

I've had one for at least ten years, & it's the best of the six or seven that I've owned.

Many of the oil-less ones have a tiny pump, so they cycle frequently, take a long time to build the pressure, and also don't last very long, IME.

The tiny Senco ones are slow, low output, and noisy, but OK to run a small finish nailer.

I have one and it is fine. Not whisper quiet, that is for sure. Super portable and does what i need it to do.

Chris

I have a Coleman pancake compressor I bought in 1995 - was not cheap at that time. Runs awesome still, very loud but as it gets mostly used outside not a problem. Excellent value these days. Very good to unscrew the drain plug after use to let water condensation out - saves the tank integrity.

Avoid it....

edited to add; Get the best California Air with aluminum tank/s for your budget.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-28-2023 at 11:04 PM.

I bought a little California Air compressor on closeout at Menards a few years ago. I love it. Super quiet and does every thing you say you will use it for. I recently bought a little diode laser with air assist and am really pleased about the low sound level from the compressor. This is the model I bought, even smaller than most pancakes, but it only cost me $85. https://www.californiaairtools.com/u...r/cat-1p1060s/
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 01-28-2023 at 11:21 PM.

I have two portables. After purchasing the California years ago the old pancake has never been used. I should give it away

Another vote for a small California Air Tool compressor. I have the same 1 gal as Richard also bought at Menards. It runs my nail guns and fills tires without rattling my skull. Is there any advantage inherent in the design of a pancake compressor?
    < insert spurious quote here >

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Ive had a 1hp Makita MakAir for years; has a scuba tank and can power my framing nailer when needed. But seriously noisy and it dances around when running. As I dont need to use my framing gun much anymor, I got a little Husky at the Big Orange store. 1 gallon tank, .5 hp motor, but it pretty much keeps up with my Senco FN40, and no troubles with my Airy brad nailer. And its quiet.
    3 year warrant and not expensive

Here's the one I bought, and since a couple of my friends have used it to top up tires, they've bought the same model. I keep a 25' 1/4" hose tucked into the space between the tank and the compressor, so it's easy to move around. It's quieter than you would think one could possibly be, and fires full size finish nailers with no worries.

I would buy the same model again.

https://www.amazon.com/California-Ai...05&sr=8-4&th=1

From what I can tell this is another area where they're all the same with different paint jobs. Even if they come out of different factories they seem to be operating with similar constraints leading to similar results. The good news is that they're usually cheap enough you can just buy one without thinking about it too much. The bad news is that you're going to likely get poor results because there isn't enough money in them to justify much else.

Thank you everyone. The reason to ditch the Dewalt is simply the cubes taken up and man it is noisey. I seldom use the nail guns. Maybe I will pick up a wireless Milwaukee to go with my batteries and skip a compressor for a while to see how it goes.

Another endorsement for California Airtool compressor. Just can't beat the quiet and reliability for the money. Size it appropriately and it should last a long time.